Chess in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in Canada

In the last 90 days Northwest Territories has Googled searched Chess more than any other region in Canada!

Driving interest ... 2016 World Chess Championship.

In the past day Northwest Territories has Googled searched Chess more than any other region in Canada.

Driving interest ... free chess game, how to set up a chess board, play chess against computer.

Currently there are no Chess Federation of Canada members in the Northwest Territories ...

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 3rd January, 2017, 12:24 AM.

Re: Chess in Canada

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
    In the last 90 days Northwest Territories has Googled searched Chess more than any other region in Canada!

In the past day Northwest Territories has Googled searched Chess more than any other region in Canada.

Driving interest ... free chess game, how to set up a chess board, play chess against computer.

Currently there are no Chess Federation of Canada members in the Northwest Territories ...

If Trump has his way and everyone abandons computers and uses couriers, the dog sled industry in Northwest Territories will "take off, eh!"
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Hey Neil (or anyone else), in the spirit of bringing ENERGY to chess....

a New Year's gift....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9X_2OQI7Os

Watch it all the way through.... or just go to 1:02:41 and watch it from the encore to see how 75-year-old Nik Turner still shows the young kids of Hedersleben (who are awfully good themselves) how it is done!
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Happy New Year to you too!

Thanks for the share, great the old dog still got bite!

I'm just finishing up a typographic video for a hiphop artist Neeco Posterboy. He's a uber talented pissed off inner-city 20wenty something. His style is brit grime. In a recent radio interview he took up some of that precious air time talking about my creativity and how digs what I do, including the album cover art for his next release and calls me fam. (as in family) and my boy Neil. I'm humbled and honored. I'm a middle aged white guy who grew up in the country. We have less than zero in common! 'Cept the work. And isn't that what it's all about anyways?

So what's a typographic video? Here's a couple that I think make the cut:

Rolling Stones; Doom & Gloom
        https://vimeo.com/51203761

And one of my all time favs; The Child
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URbFjz4hWMY

BTW, in the last 24 hours Northwest Territories once again leads all of Canada on Google search for Chess!

Driving interest:
        spark chess, play chess online, chess openings

Comment

If anyone has any contacts for chess players in the Northwest Territories, could you please email me. I'm running a tournament in March and it might be close enough for them. I'm 420 km south of Hay River. My email address is cwnlca. I use g mail.

Thanks for this info Neil!

Happy New Year to all and let's make 2017 a great year for chess in Canada!

Comment

Most welcome Chris! I have a sense that chess in Canada 2017 will experience a frsh oomph!

And once again in the past 24 hrs Northwest Territories leads the country for Google search Chess!

Driving interest:
            lichess, chess set, quantum chess

If I interpret these mini data points correcting folks in Northwest Territories are interested in learning chess, playing chess and buying chess equipment.

BTW, in the last 4 hrs Prince Edward Island ranks second!

Driving interest:
            chess online

Good luck with your tourney, where will it be located?

Comment

The tournament will be in La Crete, a logging / farming community 670km north of Edmonton. I'm a public school teacher there and try to run a couple of CFC rated tournaments a year.

I found a Yellowknife chess club page on facebook. (Yellowknife is 825km north of me!). It seems that they do a few chess tournaments a year (though I couldn't find any evidence that they were CFC rated). I was in touch with the organizer, Lloyd Thiessen. There is nothing happening in Hay River as far as he knows. Hay River is much closer to me at 420km. Maybe someone from the CFC might want to contact Lloyd and try to get them on board?

Comment

Great! Thanks for the info ... awesome stuff! Perhaps you can list your tourney with the ACA?

http://www.albertachess.org/

Sorry if I missed it being listed, I'm a little blurry-eyed right now creating motion graphics for the last dozen or so hours ...sigh.

Comment

And once again in the past 24 hrs Northwest Territories leads the country for Google search Chess!

Driving interest:
                  lichess, chess set, quantum chess ...

Here's a link to a page with a video explaining quantum chess in a lighthearted but informative way...

IM Anna Rudolph Plays Quantum Chess

I like how the creator of quantum chess, Chris Cantwell, handles an online "heckler" who asks him why he would want to fool around with normal chess. Chris replies that he wasn't going for replacing chess (and he later adds he wasn't going for TEACHING quantum mechanics), but he was going for getting people to INTERACT WITH quantum mechanics. Very ingenious!

Chris White: maybe you should get your students playing this! Maybe Alberta could lead the nation in Google search for "entanglement"!
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Very cool - thanks Paul, I will look into this in the future!

Thanks for the encouragement Neil! - I don't have the tournament scheduled yet as I'm waiting to hear back from parents so I don't clash with a hockey or basketball travel weekend. I will post it once I find out. I'm looking at late March right now.

Comment

Prince Edward Island is currently trending chess the most in Canada.

Driving interest:
                      Tata steel chess
                      US Chess Championship 2017
                      Chess Tempo

And from my personal chess library ... original print run of The Illustrated News Of The World ... June 10, 1893:

Chess In Canada

A.T. Davison (Toronto) and J.E. Narraway (Ottawa)

http://societyofchessaficionados.wor...arraway_gs.jpg

I also have a good half dozen game scores from The Illustrated London News featuring Paul Morphy cira, 1857-58!

Kinda awsum looking through this stuff again ... should have it mounted I guess.

Comment

Given the way it's formulated (i.e. in absolutes), I have a hard time believing this information is reliable.

Comment

I have a hard time questioning the googe's believability.

Care to elaborate?

Comment

Working...
                          X