Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules about missed placed pieces

I not sure if this is correct

22. If a player accidentally displaces one or more pieces, he/she shall replace them on his/her own time. If necessary, the player's opponent may start the player's clock without making a move in order to make sure that the player replaces the displaced pieces on his/her own time.

I thought that one had to stop the clock and make the claim to the arbiter and would be dealt with accordingly

Thanks Lee

Re: Rules about missed placed pieces

Yeah, this seems to be a problem. Of course, we should all know that if we knock over a piece, or displace a piece off its correct square, then we have to re-set the pieces to their correct positions before we can press the clock. Sometimes, especially in speed chess, a piece gets knocked over when we're making our move with another piece, and it may not have actually fallen over before we hit the clock. In such cases the player may quickly set that piece upright on his opponent's time, and no one raises a fuss. But since you've done this on your opponent's time it is at least distracting if not illegal. The point I would make, and this also applies to cases where you complete a move that leaves your king in check, is that time has been stolen from me. It must be returned and a penalty imposed.

So if we follow this rule 22 that you quote, we will see the other player fixing the pieces on his time, but we don't see him returning the time he took from you, even if it was only a second or two. Also, the very act of starting your opponent's clock without making a move is off-putting for both players. The player who has to do this to remind his opponent of his obligation to set the pieces aright can reasonably say, "Your bad behaviour has upset me and taken some time from my clock and so you should be penalized." I think most arbiters would give you two added minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
      Also, the very act of starting your opponent's clock without making a move is off-putting for both players...
      It also messes with the time keeping when increments are in use.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
        It also messes with the time keeping when increments are in use.
        And, potentially with move counters when they are present... I seem to recall some digital clocks having move counters?
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Hendon View Post
          I not sure if this is correct

22. If a player accidentally displaces one or more pieces, he/she shall replace them on his/her own time. If necessary, the player's opponent may start the player's clock without making a move in order to make sure that the player replaces the displaced pieces on his/her own time.

I thought that one had to stop the clock and make the claim to the arbiter and would be dealt with accordingly

Thanks Lee
          Where did you find this rule?

FIDE rules:
          "7.4
          If a player displaces one or more pieces, he shall re-establish the correct position in his own time. If necessary, either the player or his opponent shall stop the chessclock and ask for the arbiter’s assistance. The arbiter may penalise the player who displaced the pieces. "

From July 1, clauses will be different.

Comment

Working...
          X