Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Webzine down

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    What portion of your CFC membership would you willing to transfer example for Hébert parle échecs if it was translated to English? (very bad assumption that French is not your favorite) Personally, I find it very nice formatted with a good content which I can not enjoy fully due to unfamiliar language.

Jonathan Berry wrote above "we have a new web champion--Kevin Spraggett!". I disagree. The signal (i.e., chess content)-to-noise ratio is very low for the Kevin's blog.

Personally, I like a hard copy ( book, magazine ) to read. However.

Kevin Spraggett's blog is easy to read, there is no mouse clicking ( unless to an external link ) , and the material is original ,well -organized and CANADIAN!

My wife and I laugh at the jokes , sometimes sexy, sometimes hilarious. Nothing really offensive here . Humour and chess seem to mix very well. The more serious essays are well-researched. They may contain matters that expose fraudulent activity or corruption. So the site is a mixed bag.

Kevin Spraggetts blog should set an example for other Canadian Players to try to do to , in their own way.

Comment

Though I have over the years found Kevin somewhat frustrating at times, I have to admit his website is good: intelligent, informative, good chess analysis, humourous, and a touch sexy ( and quite opinionated, which you can either agree with or not at times ). It is a site I visit regularly to see what he's up to next.

Bob

Comment

Egis, my position in the Kevin Spraggett Fan Club allows liberties !? Hébert Parle Echecs (is it really a webzine? You get it kind-of by email) stands out as a "value for money" comparison with any CFC effort (as I pointed out in one of these forums some months ago).

Other sites have accumulated great quantities of carefully-researched and entertaining material. Need I mention the BCCF? But in terms of new material appearing over the past few months, webzine versus webzine, Canada-flavoured content, yes, Kevin's is the winner.

Aside from quality of content, web presence is "about" having new material every day. Kevin has come closest to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
          Other sites have accumulated great quantities of carefully-researched and entertaining material. Need I mention the BCCF?
          One of my untold thoughts for the CFC webzine was that it should improve the feedings of content from various Canadian sources. There are a lot of clubs and provincial chess organizations with their websites. Using the most ancient technique of copy+paste, or more advanced RSS is possible to overcrowd (positively) the page (Polgar's blog example.) An editor/administrator would do that + manage original materials. The CFC contributes financialy to this scheme (ok, there come problems :)

Comment

Has there been any communication from the CFC on the fate of the webzine yet ? Anything ?

Comment

The Administration's Favourite Weapon

Hi Bob:

I've heard nothing explaining what is going on with the webzine - and Gerry Litchfield, E.D., has referred all enquiries to the Executive who ordered it shut down.

Stonewalling silence seems to have become the favourite weapon of this administration. Don't communicate, don't explain, don't respond to posts, don't answer e-mails, don't bother with members because they have no vote, except for their provincial CFC Governors, only give some information in GL's.

Not an endearing characteristic for an administration seeking re-election.

Bob

Comment

Re: The Administration's Favourite Weapon

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Hi Bob:

I've heard nothing explaining what is going on with the webzine - and Gerry Litchfield, E.D., has referred all enquiries to the Executive who ordered it shut down.

Stonewalling silence seems to have become the favourite weapon of this administration. Don't communicate, don't explain, don't respond to posts, don't answer e-mails, don't bother with members because they have no vote, except for their provincial CFC Governors, only give some information in GL's.

Not an endearing characteristic for an administration seeking re-election.

Bob

And I am very afraid that most of the same old crew will somehow reappear after the AGM. I certainly hope that is not the case, but ...

Of course, those more cynical than I am (if there are such people) would point out that I should not care since I no longer have any skin in the game. Fair enough.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  One of my untold thoughts for the CFC webzine was that it should improve the feedings of content from various Canadian sources. There are a lot of clubs and provincial chess organizations with their websites. Using the most ancient technique of copy+paste, or more advanced RSS is possible to overcrowd (positively) the page (Polgar's blog example.) An editor/administrator would do that + manage original materials. The CFC contributes financialy to this scheme (ok, there come problems :)
                  If it can somehow be done programatically (automatically), sure. But keeping links up to date by hand is a tedious job, for which you'd have to pay the haple$$ worker. Can the CFC afford that? And would it want to?

The Mexico national chess site (not affiliated with FENAMAC, the national chess organization)
                  http://www.ajedrezenmexico.org/
                  has undergone a complete overhaul. It used to be a single page, which could be a challenge to load. It was large, though not as stuffed as Mark Dutton's old Toronto pages. Anyway, the new site strikes me as competent but boring. Boring is not so bad, it doesn't distract from real chess content!

Anyway (again), I'm vaguely concerned about the $10,000 budgeted for "redesign" of the CFC website. It seems to me that there is a lot of web-programming talent among the CFC fandom, and if approached with respect they might even code the site as volunteers. And even a young website wizard to be the webmaster. Volunteerism has a great history in Canada and in Canadian chess. Ultimately, it can pay off because it can lead to paying jobs.

On the other hand, chess writers (such as momentarily-editor Lawrence Day) have already reached the top of their field. It makes no sense to expect them to write or edit for free, because if the CFC or the publisher of the zine isn't going to pay them, then who ever will?

I'm not a web guy, but in the past decade, I've attempted several times to volunteer my skill as a programmer to help work out the rating problem (basically, that events couldn't be submitted for rating by the obvious method, uploading a crosstable done in a standard program). The first few times there was interest, but before I could get enough info to get down to coding, either the ED would lose interest--or get fired. Then it was back to square one. The closest this project ever got to fulfillment was with Vincent. He pretty much sent me the info that I needed, but it was a time of upheaval in the CFC, what with the TKS proposal ... anyway, eventually the CFC decided to do it commercially, and arguably achieve other goals, by contracting with SwissSys. "Fair enough". I've shared this not to show frustration or paint myself as a martyr, but to illustrate that volunteerism is tricky. Agreeing with a volunteer idea does not make it so (apologies to Star Trek fans).

Comment

Working...
                  X