How to clean chess pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean chess pieces?

Does any one know how to clean a LOT of chess sets at once? After years and years of regular use, a lot of our club sets look quite frankly grubby. I want to clean them, but to clean them by hand would take forever. I thought of using the dishwasher, but I worry that the felt bottoms would fall off, gumming everything up. Does have any ideas?

Cheers,
    Garland

Re: How to clean chess pieces?

There's no easy way. I washed several sets a few years ago... I tossed them in the sink with soapy water and, and let them soak. I then wiped them clean, and let them air dry. Any felts that came off, I glued back on again.

Simple, though a lot of work. A dishwasher would work well, but you might lose more felts.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      There's no easy way. I washed several sets a few years ago... I tossed them in the sink with soapy water and, and let them soak. I then wiped them clean, and let them air dry. Any felts that came off, I glued back on again.

Simple, though a lot of work. A dishwasher would work well, but you might lose more felts.
      I did something similar as John last week. The only thing I did different was rather than wipe them clean, I rinsed the soapy water off them in the sink, and then dumped them into big bins that I left out in the sun. I actually lost only 2 felt bottoms out of 24 sets, but I'm not sure why that is. These were older pieces that had been abused by kids! ;)

Comment

I hope someone has an easier way... I have almost 400 chess sets, most of which are used only once a year, at my annual big tournament. The rest of the time they live in ziplock bags in the garage. Someone asked me recently if the sets were washed and sanitized each year.

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          Does any one know how to clean a LOT of chess sets at once? After years and years of regular use, a lot of our club sets look quite frankly grubby. I want to clean them, but to clean them by hand would take forever. I thought of using the dishwasher, but I worry that the felt bottoms would fall off, gumming everything up. Does have any ideas?
          This might not be fast but I'd use Clorox disinfecting wipes. They are wet. I buy them by the package of 35 for around $4. a package. You'd be cleaning one piece at a time.

They have a bunch of cautions on the package which you should read as you may not want to use them.

I use them for keyboards, phones, surfaces such as counter tops and tables, etc. etc.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You can try a steam cleaner like this one:
            http://www.consumersearch.com/steam-...ulloch-mc-1275
            ________
            Honda vtx1800c
            Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I've had good results using a very soft toothbrush and a bit of soapy water.

Comment

There is a spray cleaner at Giant Tiger that is called Power Green.

You can use full strength or I'd advise you dilute it as it will remove wax off the table!! It takes off grime as it has a degreaser in it. Use rubber gloves unless you want irritated hands.

I use it to clean the bathroom tube and tile. Just spray it on everything then go out for a walk and use a brush and hot water to wash it off when you come back. It really does a number on soap scum. Shines like brand new.

You might want to make sure the Black pieces stay Black not sure if it will take any colour out of them. It does not effect the pieces I have.
                You can use it in you stainless steel sink as it cleans that as well.

Just spray on the pieces and let stand to give it time to penetrate the grime.
                If you hang pieces in a cardboard gig to let pieces hang upside down then you will save the felt bottoms. Just depends on how much prep work you want to do at the first to make job easy at the end.

You can then wipe with a hot soapy cloth or brush. Sometimes you can just wash off with hot water. Because you can let it stand for awhile you don't have to work on a lot at a time.
                Hope this helps. My pieces clean fine with it but I only have a few sets.

Comment

Working...
                X