Possibly the most annoying voice in chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly the most annoying voice in chess?

Check out Jennifer Shahade's video blog(s) on the USCF website...

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/9487/343/

Is that voice and the rapid-fire delivery something else?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Possibly the most annoying voice in chess?

I didn't even listen to her voice; I am just wondering why we would want to poke fun at other people who have never done us any harm?

Comment

I found it to be perfectly normal.

Comment

Some call it an annoying voice. Some call it rock and roll...

Comment

Maybe the voice did Kerry harm!?

I think that voice or presentation of a professional chess commentator is fair game.

I must say that I've had a few short conversations with Jennifer in person, and never remarked on unpleasantness in her voice. Could it be a recording artifact ... or a setting on your computer, Kerry?

The world of commentary is filled with people who have had unpleasant voices and/or deliveries: Rex Murphy, Pat Burns, Foster Hewitt, Howard Cosell .... all crowned with great success in their fields.

In the world of chess, we had the GM headphone commentator at Saint John 1988, chewing gum while working. A GM making a tape on gxf6 in the Caro, sounding like a used car salesman.

The nicest voice I remember in chess belongs, aunque usted no lo crea, to sometime Argentine olympiad team player Sandra Malajovich.

Comment

During the us championship broadcast coverage provided by Shahade, a lot of people were commenting on how annoying her voice was as well. Myself, I feel like smashing my keyboard when I hear it :)

Comment

As far as I am concerned the most distressing vice in chess is being better than me, and it is far more widespread than I prefer. Fortunately I myself do not suffer from it.

Comment

sounds fine to me, there is a slight trace of a local American accent, I'm guessing New York but maybe California

I guess Kerry only can handle Canadian English

wonder what he would make of a Baltimore or Bronx accent 'forget aboudit'

Kerry do you find Lawrence Welk's voice annoying or is it really wonerful, wonerful?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  Possibly the most annoying voice in chess?
                  Let's better talk about more positive things. I found World Chess News ( http://www.worldchessnews.com ) most funny to listen and watch :D

A little bit Canadian: K.S. interview at chessvibes http://www.chessvibes.com/tournament...aggettlang_en/ Probably everybody has seen it as it is dated 2007 05 08. At this moment take more careful look at the board: "White" side has Black figures :D

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                    sounds fine to me, there is a slight trace of a local American accent, I'm guessing New York but maybe California

I guess Kerry only can handle Canadian English

wonder what he would make of a Baltimore or Bronx accent 'forget aboudit'

Kerry do you find Lawrence Welk's voice annoying or is it really wonerful, wonerful?
                    Lawrence who?

He generally spoke only for a few minutes... I could handle that. Ms. Shahade's voice was annoying - but I will admit it was late and I was tired. Now that I am less tired, it is less annoying, but still grates...

To all the sensitive people: it was an observation not a condemnation of the chess bitch. Get over it.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      Lawrence who?
                      To all the sensitive people: it was an observation not a condemnation of the chess bitch. Get over it.
                      "chess bitch" Yes, I know that it is in the title of her book, but calling herself that does not justify your use of such a derogatory term. Perhaps someone needs to move on, but it is not those people who object to random attacks on someone who is not here to defend themselves.

Comment

I dunno, she has a few affectations that people could find annoying:

1) Bobblehead motion with head
                        2) tendency to talk more out of the right hand side of her mouth than left
                        3) Tendency to tail sentences off

I didn't find it incredibly annoying, but shes no pro.

And Howard Streit, tell it to Oprah, jeez.

Comment

Working...
                        X