Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: looking for advice on cross-country drive

Originally posted by Howard Streit View Post

The Winnipeg financial district has been kept the same way as it was back in the 1920s-30s. As a result, many American gangster movies are filmed there. May be an interesting place to visit.
    It is the 'Exchange District'; I think the preservation dates from the turn of the century, but it is no longer the Financial district. Some period pieces have been filmed there, but not any 'American gangster movies' as far as I know. (Like I said, it more of a turn of the century place). All that said, I don't think it is worth a stop unless you are into that type of architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
      Aris, you are planning quite an adventure!!

I'd recommend a modification of your trip from Winnipeg to Ottawa ...

Cheers, Frank
      I will second Frank's recommendation. I drove to SSM (from Winnipeg) several years through Canada - it was interesting to drive the Canadian side, but the Canadian Shield was not kind to the road builders. I came back via the US (the reverse of Frank's route) and enjoyed it more - the highways are much better.

Comment

If you're a chessplayer and you're driving up the west coast, you'd be crazy not to stop in Vancouver and get in some games at Robson Square.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
          Aris didn't tell us how he's getting to San Diego. Perhaps the Interstate system which replaced Route 66 is already on his itinerary.

Anyway, there are lots of choices: coastal route (scenic but long), I5 (urban, freeway, long), 395, ... I'd avoid 95: too boring, too much desert, for most of its length.
          Yeah, I'm doing Toronto-Detroit-Chicago-Denver-Vegas to get there, then SanFran ...

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
            Yeah, I'm doing Toronto-Detroit-Chicago-Denver-Vegas to get there, then SanFran ...
            Aaaaah, the mythical "northern Silicon Valley". If you take 395 from San Francisco, you will now not go through the most famous chess town or village in the Americas: Lone Pine. Although I guess its chess days are in the past. If you like chess sets, Maryhill Museum of Art is a side trip from I5, north of Portland, in southern Washington State. They have a permanent exhibit of over 100 decorative chess sets.

Comment

If you happen to be taking a long route along the south coast of Lake Erie, it's a short distance to the competitor to the title of "most famous chess town in the Americas" - Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania.

Comment

Working...
              X