Michael Yip in Hungary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Yip in Hungary

Chessbase.com has a report on chess in Hungary that includes a picture of Canada's Michael Yip.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5552

Michael Yip (CAN, 2089) vs Melinda Varga (HUN, 1562)

Re: Michael Yip in Hungary

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
    Chessbase.com has a report

Seems opportunity for invention: a waterproof chess clock.

Comment

I won the game in the pic but overall my score was 50%
      Also I drew the 12-yr old Russian girl (I couldn't bust the Slav) and lost to the other mentioned Hungarian young 14-yr old girl (I got smashed in a Closed Catalan with playing black)...among other tragedies.

In the February RR I lost to a 10-yr old Vietnamese boy. It's quite hard to win games here.

The open came with a one day break after the round robins ended so I played 20 games in 21 days which was quite gruelling.

The Spring Open is now like a training tournament for junior players. I played one other adult, the lady's champion of Hong Kong Anya Corke and the rest were juniors. First prize was a very modest 200Euros.

I also watched a bit of the Hungarian junior boys and girls closed. There are some really strong youngsters coming up.

A new tournament started today and sadly I just got rolled as black in a Max Lange Attack. I tried to be more solid against my 1945 rated opponent but he knew his pet line better.

After 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d4 I was aleady out of book and then fell for an easy tactic with Qh5+ winning my hanging bishop on c5. I was busted in 12 moves but played on until move 25. Hopefully I will do better tomorrow.

I started reading Marin's books on Open Games and The Spanish but it hasn't all sunk in yet.

There was another player from Montreal here (Nicholas Arsenault) in Feb, I think, playing in the IM norm RR.

Michael Yip

Comment

Posted twice by accident
        Last edited by Michael Yip; Saturday, 4th July, 2009, 04:29 PM. Reason: posted twice by accident

Comment

Working...
        X