Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Oakville Winter Open - Feb 2-4, 2018

Re: Oakville Winter Open - Feb 2-4, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hua View Post
    I guess you must have also noted that titled players has not been playing regularly in GTA tournament in recent times.
    As I noticed there were always many IMs in Hart House opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    As I noticed there were always many IMs in Hart House opens.
    I should correct myself :

Tournaments in GTA other than Hart House and Aurora. GMs are still missing though.

:(

I should correct myself :

Tournaments in GTA other than Hart House and Aurora. GMs are still missing though.

:(
    We don't attract many IMs too ;)
    Though, there are no GMs in Toronto as I know: Mark retired, Bator emigrated though comes from time to time. That for weekend tournaments. The last week tournaments had more GMs and IMs. However, that was so long time ago ~2010 - Canadian Opens and Toronto Open.

One of the reason why we give free entry fee to GM/IM is that we recognize their achievements as it is not easy to achieve GM/IM and give them an incentive to come and play in our tournament so that rising juniors or other fast improving players will benefit from playing against them. I guess you must have also noted that titled players has not been playing regularly in GTA tournament in recent times.
    That's very nice of you to recognize their achievements and me too but how about their commitments? You can give incentives to selected players, and that's fine. But, how about the expectations of the players who paid the entry fees in the simple hope of playing them (GM/IM). Do you think that is just fine for the paying public? I think, the paying public also deserve the value and worth of their entry fees. Where is the experience of not only rising juniors but adults of playing higher rated players if they can just withdraw whenever they want too? I think there should be control, that is to give their incentives only if they honor such commitment which is to play in your tournament without withdrawal. It's like paying a complete meal and after the eating the main course, and you're waiting and expecting your dessert and drink/wine but they were gone?!

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    Hi Gary;
    I noticed you post prizes for 5 placements 5,4.5,4,3.5,3 Yet you only are offering 4 prizes after the Championship section. Is this an error or do the lower groups get the same prize for 3.5 and 3 points.
    I have to sit this one out. Good luck with your first attempt at this new style of chess for Canada.
    I have to second John's observation here and also add another question. That is, why were the Under 2100, 1800, 1500 sections have different prizes when they are paying the same entry fees? That for me is not proportional, specially if the lower sections turn out to register the most number of participants.

Thanks Mark for your input.

As I have said before, no tournament is perfect in the world.

We are just trying our best to create and organize a good tournament in GTA area. We have spent a lot of effort and take the risk in organizing one.

We welcome you to join us.

Thank You

Gary Hua

Another titled player just joined aka a CM. A very talented junior who is only 11 years old. Probably playing in the championship section or U2100 section. Great opportunity if he opts to play in the championship section for experience or opt for $$$ if in the U2100 section. Definitely a player to watch in the near future.

We have almost 60 players now.

All sections are quite spread out except for U1800 section.

Remember - Dateline for early bird is Dec 17 and after that, the price goes up by $ 10 for every section.

Next list will be out on Thursday evening or Friday morning. If you have registered and you don't see your name, please notify us by sending us an email as soon as possible.

If you intend to play, don't wait any further less you miss out the $ 10 discount for early registration. You can use that to buy the lunch box worth $10.

Cheers

Gary Hua
    Last edited by Gary Hua; Wednesday, 22nd November, 2017 at 07:12 PM.

We have finally surpass 60 now with a couple of U1500 and U1800 players.

Remember - dateline for early bird is December 17, 2017.

Save the $ 10 to have that munch box serve by the hotel.

Hotel rate of $ 109 may runs out so please book earlier as well.

Cheers

Gary Hua

Finally, the entries starts to move up again and we are closing on to 70 and should surpass 70 soon. We are almost half way our target of 150 players.

Most likely due to dateline coming up on Dec 17th, 2017 when the early bird price ends and after Mississauga Open last weekend.

Less than 2 weeks to go before the price goes up.

Gary Hua

Reminder - Price goes up after Dec 17th.

More players have signed up.

If you decide to play, please do not hesitate and wait for the last day/minute to register. You may forget and then misses it. I missed once before and I had to pay the price and looking back, i tell myself i shouldn't have done that ( waiting for the last day and then missed it and had to pay $ 60 ( 3 person * $20 ). To some $ 10 may mean nothing but to me it's worth a lunch meal or more.

10 more days to go which is after the completion of Hart House tournament ( Dec 15-17 ).

Payment can be by credit card and paypal. Paypal is on the right button option.

We have another National Master signed up last night which is fantastic. More competition will elevate the level of play and that is one of our objective. Very strong junior and will definitely provide stiff challenge to the top players.

Thanks to those who has signed up. We really appreciate it. Our success depends on your participation

Cheers to Chess in Canada.

Looking forward to host all of you at Holiday Inn, Oakville from Feb 2-4, 2018 ( less than 2 months from now ).

Gary Hua
    Last edited by Gary Hua; Thursday, 7th December, 2017 at 01:58 PM.

Thread Information