Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Re: Re : Re: A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

I actually agree with both of you. I think you're both boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Patterson View Post
    err.... no. In the example given, EF is $60. Variable costs associated with each player are usually just rating fees $3.15 as most costs are fixed but there might be other costs (in BC, BCCF dues $3 plus sometimes we pay TD $/player). So net marginal revenue in Bob's case is $56.85 or maybe a bit less depending on location and TD arrangement.
    The variable cost is much more than that if you realize that the prize pool is one of your costs. ie, you have 20 players and a prize pool of $1000. If 21 players enter, you now have a prize pool of $1050.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ottosen View Post
    The variable cost is much more than that if you realize that the prize pool is one of your costs. ie, you have 20 players and a prize pool of $1000. If 21 players enter, you now have a prize pool of $1050.
    Er....no.

First of all, imagine asking the 20 original players if they would spend $20 to get one additional entry and a prize fund of $1036.85 (the original $1000 plus $60 EF less $20 advertising less rating fee). If marginal revenue is greater than marginal cost, it makes sense to do so.

Secondly, essentially all chess tournaments are either guaranteed prizes (in which case the prizes are fixed costs) or BEN (in which case the $20 is an expense and is deducted)

I have never seen a chess tournament advertised as $X per entry. Yes, if there were such a tournament, then prizes would be a variable cost but as the first example shows, would not be in the players’ or organizers’ best interests and lead to sub optimal results.

I have never seen a chess tournament advertised as $X per entry.
    Hal Bond's Guelph tournaments are advertised as "$70 per Pro player returned as prizes."

Secondly, essentially all chess tournaments are either guaranteed prizes (in which case the prizes are fixed costs) or BEN (in which case the $20 is an expense and is deducted)

I have never seen a chess tournament advertised as $X per entry.
    What in tarnation are you talking about. Tournaments that are BEN (which is basically every tournament in Canada) are obviously $X per entry.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ottosen View Post
    What in tarnation are you talking about. Tournaments that are BEN (which is basically every tournament in Canada) are obviously $X per entry.
    The way a BEN tournament is normally financed is:

Add up all the revenue
    Add up all the expenses
    Subtract the two - the difference goes to prize money.

Insofar as additional entries are additional revenue (and are larger than the marginal cost of one more player), more players means more prize money. But it's not $X per entry.

Re: A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Hi Larry, does this new policy apply to the humble no-entry-fee, no-prize-fund casual tourney?

Hi Neil,

Last night we had a metting of the CMA executive.

The general feeling of the board was that we should sell the site to someone who will invest the necessary time and energy to make it successful.

The feeling was that while the site is a useful tool that fills a void for chess in Canada, it is not a role that our organization should be playing. Make us a serious offer and it will be yours in a heartbeat.

I have been taking care of the site for over 17 years...it is kinda like my baby (and despite the negatives...I think it has made a difference)...so if you adopt it...you better do a good job! I am hoping that the new owner will take it to a higher level!

Larry

Hi Larry, I'll give you a call next week. The thing I really love about CT ... it's bilingual community of French & English!

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Frarey View Post
    Hi Larry, does this new policy apply to the humble no-entry-fee, no-prize-fund casual tourney?
    I have a similar question. The Concordia Chess Club hosts periodic Blitz tournaments open to all. The entry fee is $5 and all entry fees are returned as prizes. We usually get about 10 to 12 players. Does the charge apply to this type of small, informal tournament?

Thread Information