Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beaches Chess Club 100 years ago

Re: Beaches Chess Club 100 years ago

Re: women in chess in Montreal:

I have no record of a "Canadian" women's championship held in Montreal in 1951, so the article may have been referring to the "Montreal Ladies' Championship" held in the same (or previous) year. I may be able to find crosstables for any of the events I describe, if you want them.

1937: November: An all-woman club - the Cercle Femina, started. It was mentioned in newspaper columns in 1937, 1938, 1946, and 1947. The 1945-46 club champion was G. Archarngelo; the 1946-47 club champion was Anna Cosgrove.
    1945: Gisela Gresser (US women's champion) simul (18 boards) at Montreal CC. Won 12; drew 0; lost 1 (J.E. Patenaude).
    1949, June: the Montreal Ladies' Championship was won by Firda Bone. (Was Fieda Bono a typo, or an alternate name?)
    1950, June: The 8-player Ladies' championship was won by Firda Bone (6-1), I. Steven (5-2).
    1951, July: the Ladies Championship (5 players) was won by Firda Bone (4-0), for the third year in a row.
    1952, May: The 5-player Ladies' championship was won by Doris Robertson (4-0).
    1953: Ladies Championship proposed, but never held.
    1957: Ladies Championship proposed, but never held.
    1958: 5 of the 80 entries in the Montreal Championship Open were women.
    1959: 4 of the 104 entries in the Montreal Championship Open were women.

Re: Beaches Chess Club 100 years ago

Tomorrow night 7 to 8 pm, Robert Morrison will again be giving a simult at the Beaches Library, Queen and Lee.

I now have a couple of photos of Gale and have sent a bio article to the CFC. Perhaps I'll start to recover my series of articles on other Toronto Champions.

I'm almost finished an article to put up on the Beaches Historical Society website but shortening it by removing photos and chess diagrams.

Thread Information