Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Summary of Oakville Winter Open Feb 2-4, 2018

Re: Summary of Oakville Winter Open Feb 2-4, 2018

The question would be if all sections paid the same entry fee would they have got those numbers. The lower groups paid less so more came out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    The question would be if all sections paid the same entry fee would they have got those numbers. The lower groups paid less so more came out.
    Hi John:

Hal Bond in Guelph offered a lower entry fee to the lower sections the last time I played there. He gave them trophies as prizes. The lower section entry fees pay for all the tournament expenses, the trophies and the organizer's profit.

With the top section, I believe he put into its prizes, 100% of all entry fees.....they pay nothing towards the expenses of the tournament, nor the organizer's profit......pretty good deal I think.

As far as I know, this system attracts for Hal both sufficient players for his top section, plus a good turnout in the lower sections, which gives him enough to cover their trophies, tournament expenses and his profit.

Is this an accurate assessment of his system of giving something attractive to both the top group, and the lower sections (Lower entry fee)?

Bob A

No idea. I have enough trophies from Guelph. I played in Jan to get a FIDE Rating unfortunately I had a bad cold and had to withdraw.Hal
    's tournaments bring players who want trophies and rating points. Not cash prizes you can't compare apples to oranges Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    Gary and Company did a great job .....
    John, you got that much correct!
    You can second guess the prize distribution, entry fees, whatever all you want, but....

They had the courage to try something new.
    They got 185 players and 58 of them won cash.
    Huge success, congratulations guys! :)

Hi Alex;
    It seems everyone is concerned on most chess players being Amateurs,why not have an amateur entry fee when amateurs compete in cash prize events but cannot win a cash prize.? However if the top Amateur wins a section then they get a free entry into the cash prizes next time around. Sort of like Tata , the winner of Challenger group gets to move to Masters Group next year. I really do not think all amateurs want cash prizes but I do know that entry fees do deter amateurs from playing in more tournaments.

Most - if not all - EOCA tournaments have an "amateur" option - you pay $30 (instead of $60), but you are not eligible for a prize.

Thanks to all who have commented and made your views known.

We will take into consideration of all the views ( good and bad ) and make the next tournament an even bigger and better one.

No tournaments are perfect in this world unless they have very good sponsorship $$$.

If you expect lower entry fee, expect lower pay outs. If you expect good pay out, please expect to pay slightly more for the entry fees.

Please understand that EMC is trying to make the chess scene in Canada a better one. We have achieved many of our objectives and we are very happy on this point.

We have received very encouraging feedback/comments from players and parents and this is what makes want to make it a better one the next time.

There is so much to learn as we keep moving forward. We exist to elevate your chess experience - that's why we are called Elevate My Chess Canada. Remember also - we are not a charity organization but a profit organization who has to make viable financial decisions.

We also always encourage other organizers to hold bigger tournaments as well for the good of Chess in Canada.

Thanks so much again for your participations.

Stay tuned for our next big one - weekend tournament.....

Cheers for Chess in Canada

Gary Hua

EMC

Thread Information