The 2018 Montreal Summer Chess Classic - (July 30 - August 03)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2018 Montreal Summer Chess Classic - (July 30 - August 03)

Hello everyone,

We are pleased to announce the next installment of the Montreal Chess Classic. The Summer edition will be held on July 30 - August 03, 2018 at College Jean-de-Brebeuf. This tournament is open to everyone and will have as its main attraction an IM Norm invitational section (a round-robin tournament, 10 players). Local players will have a golden opportunity to continue their journey towards the title of International Master.

The selection process for the Invitation section will begin shortly. If you are a player with a FIDE rating above 2100, contact us as soon as possible. You may be among the lucky ones who will receive an invitation for this section! If there are many worthy submissions, a qualifying tournament might be held prior to the main event.

Please note that the Summer Classic immediately follows the Championnat ouvert du Quebec (the Quebec Open), thus giving an excellent opportunity for players to extend their stay in Montreal and to play in two consecutive FIDE-rated events (three, if one counts the Canadian Open).

IM Norm invitational section: Round-robin, 10 players. By invitation only. Rated FIDE/CFC/FQE.
    https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_...l?event=188048

Open Section: Swiss system, five (5) rounds, one round per day, open to players with any rating. Rated FIDE/CFC/FQE.
    https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_...l?event=188049

U1800, U1200: Swiss system, five (5) rounds, open to players with ratings below the section threshold. Rated FQE.

Register before May 31, 2018 to take advantage of the cheapest rate!

Detailed information on the tournament page on the FQE Web site:
    http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/regions/cl...ub=92&id=13546

The English version of a flyer: https://bit.ly/2HaLHqG

Event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/472942786456943/

Greetings,

Lefong Hua
    Vadim Tsypin
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Friday, 22nd June, 2018, 10:33 PM. Reason: URL change on the FQE site

Re: The 2018 Montreal Summer Chess Classic - (July 30 - August 03)

Bump. Entry fee discounts available through May 31.

Comment

Nine players including all titleholders are confirmed for the IM Norm Invitational section. Enjoy the alphabetical list of players and take advantage of the early bird rates to save on entry fees in all other sections.

Register before May 31, 2018 at the cheapest rates possible.

Detailed information is on the tournament page on the FQE Web site:

Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Friday, 22nd June, 2018, 10:34 PM. Reason: URL change on the FQE site.

Comment

Two days left to take advantage of an early bird discount. Register before May 31, 2018 at the cheapest rates possible.

Play side-by-side with titled players from Iceland, the U.S., Quebec, Ontario and run a very real chance to boast to your grandchildren: "When the newly minted world champion obtained his first IM norm in Montreal 2018, I was playing on the board right next to him!"
        Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Friday, 22nd June, 2018, 10:35 PM. Reason: URL change on the FQE site

Comment

Is there a list of advance entries for the other sections (besides the Invitational)? There seems to be nothing on chess-results.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Is there a list of advance entries for the other sections (besides the Invitational)? There seems to be nothing on chess-results.
            Yes, this is by design. :)

The official list of entries can be found on the tournament page on the FQE site:
            Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Friday, 22nd June, 2018, 10:35 PM. Reason: URL change on the FQE site

Comment

The Quebec young star FM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux becomes the final player who will compete in the Invitational section. The IM Norm section is now complete, with ten titled players from Iceland, the U.S., Quebec, Ontario.

Register to the Open or U-1800 section and support the future of Canadian chess.

Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Friday, 22nd June, 2018, 10:32 PM. Reason: URL change on the FQE site.

Comment

Eight days left until the entry fees increase. Proceed to a beautiful page on the new FQE site to register and vie the tournament info.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  I'm interested, but would like to know how many players are registered. Could you post the link here for me where I can see the current pre-regs?
                  Hello Bob,
                  I would be great to have you playing! Here's a link to the alphabetical list of all sections as of June 30. For obvious reasons, we had no bandwidth yet to update it during the CYCC/CO, but once the double-round days are over, we'll try to catch up with many new registrations that Lefong received.

As the FQE site recently underwent a vert nice update, I'll give the new URL for the tournament info as well.

Comment

Hi Vadim:

Thanks for the links.

I'll look forward to the coming update information - playing will extend my Montreal stay longer than planned (I'm in the Quebec Open), but it may be possible.

Bob A

Comment

Hi Vadim/Lefong:

I'm curious about which players you are targeting for your tournament.

The tournament is only on weekdays (Mon. to Fri.) and the rounds are at 1:00 PM. Obviously, many adult players would be working and unable to play.

Are you targeting juniors, who would be available during the summer at these times?

I suppose, retired seniors, like me, could also be available.

Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        Hi Vadim/Lefong:

I'm curious about which players you are targeting for your tournament.

The tournament is only on weekdays (Mon. to Fri.) and the rounds are at 1:00 PM. Obviously, many adult players would be working and unable to play.

Are you targeting juniors, who would be available during the summer at these times?

I suppose, retired seniors, like me, could also be available.

Thanks.

Bob A
                        Hello Bob,

Valid points, all. Lefong's concept for Montreal Chess Classic is to slowly build up a real chess festival that would be one day be on par with Wijk aan Zee and London. The headliner is an invitation-only section that allows up-and-coming junior to go all-in: for master's level ratings (January 2018) or IM Norms (July 2018). Other sections have players who are available during the week or attend a junior chess camp. They can rub shoulders with established stars and titled players and learn from their role models. This worked well this winter, we hope it'd work equally well this summer.

Retired seniors are especially welcome. The one round per day, (90'/end + 30" incr.) schedule and control are designed with seniors in mind. ( Here in Quebec City, we received several complaints from golden-age club players that the time control in the CO was "too slow" and their middle-aged opponents simply led them to exhaustion. )

Thanks.
                        Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Tuesday, 10th July, 2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post

Retired seniors are especially welcome. The one round per day, (90'/end + 30" incr.) schedule and control are designed with seniors in mind. ( Here in Quebec City, we received several complaints from golden-age club players that the time control in the CO was "too slow" and their middle-aged opponents simply led them to exhaustion. )
                          That's a new one. Most retired seniors usually complain of the time control being "too fast". Always excuses from these older (wiser?) folks.

Comment

Hi Vadim:

Thoughtful answers/planning....thanks...best of luck on your growth plan.

This retired senior likes the time control, and is still interested and I have now set the time aside.

But I am waiting to see the pre-reg updated list, to see the size of the swiss, and in particular the Open Section, where I would play, despite my FQE rating being only 1715 (Subject I guess to what disaster may befall me at the coming Quebec Open). Your last list had only 2 pre-regs for the Open Section.

Bob A
                            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Saturday, 14th July, 2018, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X