Keres Memorial May 19-21, Richmond BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keres Memorial May 19-21, Richmond BC

Keres Memorial is coming up fast - get your registrations in!

www.keresmemorial.pbworks.com

Judging by the pre-registration list, looks to be larger than usual attendance this year. Extra space has been booked so no worries on not getting in.

We also need floaters so if you can't play the whole thing but can manage a round or two, email us at victoriachessclub@gmail.com . Organizer covers the costs (rating fees, Tournament Membership if needed).

Re: Keres Memorial May 19-21, Richmond BC

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
    Keres Memorial is coming up fast - get your registrations in!

www.keresmemorial.pbworks.com

Judging by the pre-registration list, looks to be larger than usual attendance this year. Extra space has been booked so no worries on not getting in.

We also need floaters so if you can't play the whole thing but can manage a round or two, email us at victoriachessclub@gmail.com . Organizer covers the costs (rating fees, Tournament Membership if needed).
    Pre-registration ends on Monday (May 14).

Should be the largest Keres Memorial in 30 years....

Comment

Pre-registration ends on Monday (May 14).

Should be the largest Keres Memorial in 30 years....

See the the link in the original post for pairings and standings. Roughly 170 players.

Comment

Several first-round upsets! Assuming he's the same one - Roger - you may remember Scott Morgan in Montreal in the 1970's. Say hi to him from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          Several first-round upsets! Assuming he's the same one - Roger - you may remember Scott Morgan in Montreal in the 1970's. Say hi to him from me.

Probably the the same one. I don’t know him but Paul Leblanc knows him from back when. He was playing as a floater, had two long games and I think he has had enough for now so I probably won’t be able to pass the message on.

upsets, out of 18 boards in the Premier, 5 decisive upsets and 2 favourites also nicked for draws, so 7 out of 18 upsets in round 1. For some of those favourites, the going didn’t get any better in round 2.....

Comment

An Event Report is being constructed at: www.keresmemorial.pbworks.com/EventReport2018

Not too much there yet - prize money distribution and standings. Brief report, photos, and pgn file to come soon.
            Last edited by Roger Patterson; Friday, 25th May, 2018, 01:40 AM.

Comment

See the the link in the original post for pairings and standings. Roughly 170 players.
              That sounds like a good number Roger.

How does it compare to previous years?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

I'm too lazy to look up numbers, but here's a start: http://www.chess.ca/crosstable?searc...613a06aa18010d

Comment

The BC Chess History website is a gold mine of information
                  http://www.bcchesshistory.com/
                  Paul Leblanc
                  Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                    That sounds like a good number Roger.

Larry
                    1988 (30 years ago) had 173.

Prior to that, 1981 had 180.

Paul's post gives a link that shows all of the previous year's but yeah - big number.

Comment

Congratulations. The Keres was a pleasure to play in for the first time in my life. Great playing site. Kudos to you Roger and also Paul Leblanc for growing this tournament and also the GPO. Also very impressed that despite the big numbers all the rounds started on time. I hate when the first round starts an hour late. I was hoping to see some of the old BC players such as Piasetski and Berry. There was Kevin Gentes, but he is a bit after my time. However, I did manage to have lunch with Alex Kuznecov and I am trying to get him to come out of retirement for the Banff Open. One small criticism, is that my last round game, which my opponent could have won and tied for 1st there were no TD's to be seen. The game did go over 100 moves, but we had to ask spectators to get us new scoresheets after move 100! Also, playing on increment if there was an illegal move, it would have been nice if there was a TD present. At some point I did have to promote to a queen, but luckily my opponent was not hiding it.

Comment

An Event Report is being constructed at: www.keresmemorial.pbworks.com/EventReport2018

Not too much there yet - prize money distribution and standings. Brief report, photos, and pgn file to come soon.
                        Now with photos, pgn, and report.

Comment

Working...
                        X