Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Work Load

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Hi Ben. Prove to me that out of the set of all chessplayers, the subset identified by Duncan as "The B.C. Chess Community" owes something, anything, to Karen and Silken.
    What is being asked is not what has been offered, which was how to derive "could" to "should". There is no guarantee that you won't ignore the proof anyway, as you are doing with the arguments of Mr. Duncan Smith. Before asking for anything, you should first acknowledge that Mr. Smith provided arguments, then take your best shot against them. After that, we'll see what we can do.

That could be done in private, since there is nothing public to add on the real issue yet.
    Last edited by Benoit St-Pierre; Wednesday, 30th September, 2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Re: Never Trust an Eye Witness

Originally posted by Benoit St-Pierre View Post
      You are being refuted.
      If so, certainly not by you. I am sorry you feel so badly about the strength of your positions that you feel you must resort to name calling attacks. But you are not fooling anyone, merely exposing yourself for what you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
        If so, certainly not by you. I am sorry you feelmm, so badly about the strength of your positions that you feel you must resort to name calling attacks. But you are not fooling anyone, merely exposing yourself for what you are.
        "Pedantry" refers to a behaviour, it's not even a personal attack. Referring to what I am, even implicitly, is a personal attack. In any case, I could erase the mention about "pedantry" and my position would still hold. I wonder what's left of your last reply if we erase the personal attack. In fact, I wonder what you would have to say if your focus was not on that insignificance.

You speak as if we were in a law court, when we're not.
        Last edited by Benoit St-Pierre; Wednesday, 30th September, 2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

"Pedantry" refers to a behaviour, it's not even a personal attack.
          Digging yourself in deeper. And fooling no one except perhaps yourself, though even that I doubt.

Comment

Digging yourself in deeper. And fooling no one except perhaps yourself, though even that I doubt.
            Pedantry is "An excessive attention to detail or rules; An instance of such behaviour; An overly ambitious display of learning". Stop trolling and start arguing.
            Last edited by Benoit St-Pierre; Wednesday, 30th September, 2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Re: Sharing Work Load

What is being asked is not what has been offered, which was how to derive "could" to "should". There is no guarantee that you won't ignore the proof anyway, as you are doing with the arguments of Mr. Duncan Smith. Before asking for anything, you should first acknowledge that Mr. Smith provided arguments, then take your best shot against them. After that, we'll see what we can do.

That could be done in private, since there is nothing public to add on the real issue yet.
              If I am to argue effectively with Duncan, or anyone for that matter, then I need to understand their fundamentals, their jargon, their definitions, etc. - yes or no? For example, Duncan has used the expression, the B.C. chess community (or something like that). What does that mean? I've asked Duncan that question and haven't received an answer. Let's start there: what is the B.C. chess community?
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Pedantry is "An excessive attention to detail or rules; An instance of such behaviour; An overly ambitious display of learning". Stop trolling and start arguing.
                More name calling. Yawn.

Comment

Re: Why is it that...

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  It isn't just the GM title that seems to earn one the "all knowing about everything" accolade. Jean Hebert is only an IM, but his personal attacks on Hal Bond and his proclamations about what is supposed to happen in organizing a prestigious chess event have earned the same silent nods as Spraggett's blogs (if it is indeed Spraggett, which seems to be of some doubt?).

This is all a troubling tendency. The more that question it, the better. Chess is a mere game and mastery of it doesn't equate to mastery of real life / philosophical issues.
                  From what I have seen IM Hebert has only made one set of comments. GM Spraggett has had this disturbing trend for quite awhile. I can see that IM Hebert was not happy about certain conditions in the event... He probably could have been more diplomatic but I am sure all of us have made comments that have not been diplomatic from time to time.

I guess people do seem to forget that chess is only a game. People like Mr Bond Volunteer their service to run an event so that other people can play this game and some even make their living off these volunteers! Sure, there are things that could done differently, but perhaps these players can volunteer their time to help out? I'm sure these players can offer to enter games into a PGN file so they can be posted... To expect these services to be automatic shows on overblown sense of entitlement.

A comment about the general state of Chess in Canada is definitely up for comments... the fact that venues generally are given away and that there is a lack of sponsorship... The fact that there is a lack of volunteers for many tournaments... but I think that the criticism of these volunteers is stepping over the boundaries of good taste.

Comment

More name calling. Yawn.
                    More trolling.

Comment

Working...
                    X