another poll by TD: FIDE rating top section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another poll by TD: FIDE rating top section

Hi again from a weekend tournament Organizer/TD. From my previous poll, the very strong majority of players would prefer that I have predefined section cutoffs, as opposed to deciding the section cutoffs onsite, right before the first round. Thanks for that feedback.

From the discussion thread around that poll, it also seems that players would be relatively comfortable with a registration feature such players can play in a higher section than their current rating, if their peak rating is within the higher section. However, players who do play up a section would only be able to register as non-Amateur for that higher section. The intent here is to respectfully recognize accomplishments at every level of chess skill.

Now, my last weekend event had a prize pool of $1700, with $400 for first place. However, for my next weekend event, I really want to hit $2000, with $500 for first place. And I want to stay at that prize level or higher. So I'm looking at all my expenses, and I am willing to reconsider almost anything, which has led me to the subject of today's poll.

FIDE rating the top section costs us almost $100 in prize money, so I am wondering just how important it is for potential players. Regardless of your personal skill level, would you need the top section to be FIDE rated in order to consider registering for that tournament?

Thanks again for your insights, Aris in Ottawa.
    Yes
    75.00%
    No
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: another poll by TD: FIDE rating top section

For me, as I think for most players in the 2000-2300 range, being FIDE rated is nice, but not a "deal breaker" - if I was considering playing in a tournament, it wouldn't affect my decision either way.

Some strong titled players might prefer to "protect" their FIDE ratings, so having a FIDE rated section might make them less inclined to play.

On the other hand, some players might be attracted by FIDE rated tournaments.

Maybe you should modify your poll to
    All other things being equal, having a FIDE rated top section in a tournament would:
    - make me more likely to play
    - not affect my decision to play
    - make me less likely to play

Another suggestion - perhaps instead of all these internet polls, you could send out an email survey or have a paper survey at your next tournament. You would probably end up with a better cross-section of opinions. On the other hand, your tournaments have been great for the chess scene in Ottawa so as they say, no need to fix what's not broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      Regardless of your personal skill level, would you need the top section to be FIDE rated in order to consider registering for that tournament?

Thanks again for your insights, Aris in Ottawa.
      As a 1700 rated player, it is difficult to understand how having a section I don't play in FIDE rated has any bearing on my decision to play or not, with the possible exception of getting a smaller prize fund. However, given how many people register as amateurs, it's also clear than a significant fraction of players also simply do not care about the prize fund either!

Seems to me you need to tie this question to rating rather than ignoring rating. Only for players in the top section does the question have relevance. Hence the large "no" response.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
        For me, as I think for most players in the 2000-2300 range, being FIDE rated is nice, but not a "deal breaker" - if I was considering playing in a tournament, it wouldn't affect my decision either way.

Some strong titled players might prefer to "protect" their FIDE ratings, so having a FIDE rated section might make them less inclined to play.

On the other hand, some players might be attracted by FIDE rated tournaments.

Maybe you should modify your poll to
        All other things being equal, having a FIDE rated top section in a tournament would:
        - make me more likely to play
        - not affect my decision to play
        - make me less likely to play

Another suggestion - perhaps instead of all these internet polls, you could send out an email survey or have a paper survey at your next tournament. You would probably end up with a better cross-section of opinions. On the other hand, your tournaments have been great for the chess scene in Ottawa so as they say, no need to fix what's not broken.
        Hi Patrick, thanks for your reply, really appreciated given your top-section skill level.

I hear what you're saying about internet polls vs. targeted surveys. However, one thing that I like about these anonymous polls is that every vote gets equal billing. Sometimes when I survey people, I'm concerned about over-compensating to input from people who are relatively more vocal, know what I mean?! For example, during the last few events I have organized, some people (some not playing) have pseudo-complained about sending money to FIDE "needlessly", but when I look at the poll results so far, people seem to want the top section FIDE rated. I'll wait a few more days to see how the poll goes.

Patrick, all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          As a 1700 rated player, it is difficult to understand how having a section I don't play in FIDE rated has any bearing on my decision to play or not, with the possible exception of getting a smaller prize fund. However, given how many people register as amateurs, it's also clear than a significant fraction of players also simply do not care about the prize fund either!

Seems to me you need to tie this question to rating rather than ignoring rating. Only for players in the top section does the question have relevance. Hence the large "no" response.
          Hi Garland, what you're saying makes sense, but I wonder why is the vote going YES?

Comment

Hi Aris:

For whatever reason, I think there is a slowly building desire for players to get a FIDE rating, as well as their CFC rating. Maybe this is because FIDE has now lowered the floor for FIDE ratings ( I think it is around 1300 now or something like that - help someone ).

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 30th September, 2009, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Aris

To be honest, I voted YES because I badly WANT the top section of your events FIDE rated. However I would still play if they weren't.

I feel like Patrick that it would have been better if the poll question had been different. As someone who has been a chesstalk pollster :), I would have preferred if the poll gave something like the following 5 options.

1) I want top section FIDE rated AND not play if not;
              2) I want top section FIDE rated AND play if not;
              3) I don't want top section FIDE rated AND not play if was;
              4) I don't want top section FIDE rated AND play if was;
              5) I don't care if top section FIDE rated.

This way a respondent can still express if he wants your events FIDE rated, but also whether he'd play regardless. A fine distinction from your poll perhaps, but it would tell you how many people you'd be making (un)happy regardless of whether they play in at least the next few of your future events.

I believe Garland almost answers his own question: asking whether the top section is to be FIDE rated is relevant regardless of a respondent's rating, assuming having the top section FIDE rated affects the prize fund for lower sections as well. However even if that is not the case, someday a lower rated player may improve his rating and then play in the top section of a future event, which may or may not be FIDE rated based on what Aris does with the results of his poll.
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 3rd October, 2009, 11:48 AM.
              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                Hi Aris

To be honest, I voted YES because I badly WANT the top section of your events FIDE rated. However I would still play if they weren't.

I feel like Patrick that it would have been better if the poll question had been different. As someone who has been a chesstalk pollster :), I would have preferred if the poll gave something like the following 5 options.

1) I want top section FIDE rated AND not play if not;
                2) I want top section FIDE rated AND play if not;
                3) I don't want top section FIDE rated AND not play if not;
                4) I don't want top section FIDE rated AND play if was;
                5) I don't care if top section FIDE rated.

This way a respondent can still express if he wants your events FIDE rated, but also whether he'd play regardless. A fine distinction from your poll perhaps, but it would tell you how many people you'd be making (un)happy regardless of whether they play in at least the next few of your future events.

I believe Garland almost answers his own question: asking whether the top section is to be FIDE rated is relevant regardless of a respondent's rating, assuming having the top section FIDE rated affects the prize fund for lower sections as well. However even if that is not the case, someday a lower rated player may improve his rating and then play in the top section of a future event, which may or may not be FIDE rated based on what Aris does with the results of his poll.
                Kevin, thanks for replying. Coming from one of my regular top players, I value it lots.

Unless the input changes dramatically, judging from both the written feedback and the poll votes, rating the top section FIDE seems to be something that many players really like. Therefore, in my mind, it is worth it for at least the sheer enjoyment of the event.

More feedback welcome. I would like to announce the details of my next event soon.

Thanks again, and best regards, Aris.

Comment

Definitely it is not a criteria for me to go (join, play). However, I would be more pleased if the tournament is FIDE rated - more chances to rise a rating to 2300 and request/buy the international title :)

Comment

Working...
                  X