When a thread is closed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a thread is closed...

perhaps it would make sense to edit the thread title to be prefixed by CLOSED: since the little padlock symbol is almost obscured by other widgets that clutter the icon...

PS: why not close the other threads that are all about the Peter Stockhausen issue (almost said 'affair')
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: When a thread is closed...

Why was the thread closed? Of course it is the right of the owners of the site to act as they wish, but censorship in this instance seems heavy-handed to me.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      Why was the thread closed? Of course it is the right of the owners of the site to act as they wish, but censorship in this instance seems heavy-handed to me.
      Watch for this thread to be closed soon.... :p

Comment

Wow.. anywhere else it's called Moderation, but on Chesstalk it's censorship.

Incidentally if it WAS censorship, the thread would have been deleted. But once people start accusing others of having specific mental illnesses it's about time to stop that discussion.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          Wow.. anywhere else it's called Moderation, but on Chesstalk it's censorship.

Incidentally if it WAS censorship, the thread would have been deleted. But once people start accusing others of having specific mental illnesses it's about time to stop that discussion.
          I agree that the thread should have never been allowed to continue (hard to prevent them from starting, I suppose)

Comment

As I wrote previously, it is of course the site owner's prerogative to lock a thread. However, this sort of moderation seems a bit over-protective to me. Must we be held hostage to the more sensitive amongst us? Can they not simply avert their eyes if these sorts of discussions are not to their liking?
            In defense of the principals involved, as far as I can tell they used their real names and thus weren't hiding anonymously, which I agree would be objectionable.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

When I initially read the thread,the assumption was the originator was being facetious and I responded in kind only to be attacked as an armchair psychiatrist.I feel that the "powers that be" have overreacted in this instance!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Carbone (Nickolof View Post
                When I initially read the thread,the assumption was the originator was being facetious and I responded in kind only to be attacked as an armchair psychiatrist.I feel that the "powers that be" have overreacted in this instance!
                Which part of what you wrote was not accurate?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I personally think all the threads on the Stockhausen incident should be closed. There's so much mud slinging going on that I cannot even figure out if he is found or still missing! Since it is not a chess-related issue (i.e. he didn't take off with CFC money, there are no CFC issues that are awaiting his decision, etc.), then I hardly see why this continues to be a Chesstalk discussion.

I could not find one single positive thing that has arisen out of this entire series of threads. If there has been one, then someone please tell me, and not in a sarcastic manner.

Isn't it time we move on from this ridiculous soap opera and onto real chess-related topics?
                  No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Hi Jordan,

Sure, I can answer that. Other people's lives, and especially their bad fortune, are cautionary tales. A few things jump out at me when reading this thread:

1) If you are married or in a relationship, make sure you have some money that only you can access (say a year's worth).

2) No matter how long you have been married, no matter how solid your relationship seems, no matter what ... see point 1.

3) If you cannot for some reason take action on point 1, then you better have a good, steady job that produces a reliable income stream.

4) Make sure you have a friend or family member who, if things really go into the crapper, can help you out.

Chess in this sense is like life. Sure, you can learn from your own mistakes but it also pays to learn from the mistakes of those around you. Those mistakes cost you less.

Comment

Why would you write that to me? It has nothing to do with the question I asked.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

How about someone pointed out the flaws of KS for a change instead of letting his attacks go unanswered?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                          How about someone pointed out the flaws of KS for a change instead of letting his attacks go unanswered?
                          I second that thought.
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                            You don't have to go there. Just because someone feels he has to write something doesn't mean you have to read it.

If you're entertained by the threat being worse than it's execution or the rants, go for it!!! If you like an expatriot flying your flag upside down and writing about the state of chess in Canada then enjoy.

It's the entertainment business. Gotta keep'em coming back.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Why would you write that to me? It has nothing to do with the question I asked.
                              Gary,

Sorry, I wasn't aiming my comments at you, it happens that my reply was attached to your message, but I didn't mean for it to go there. It was meant as a reply to the original post.

Sorry for the confusion,

Jordan
                              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Working...
                              X