First Canadian to reach 2700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Canadian to reach 2700

There are now five players on the CFC ratings over 2600!
    Who will be the first to reach 2700?

Kovalyov 2638 ....
    Bluvshtein 2634 ....
    Spraggett 2618 ....
    Sambuev 2614 ....
    Samsonkin 2601....
    other ???? ....
    Kovalyov 2638
    37.50%
    Bluvshtein 2634
    45.00%
    Spraggett 2618
    2.50%
    Sambuev 2614
    2.50%
    Samsonkin 2601
    5.00%
    other ????
    7.50%

Re: First Canadian to reach 2700

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    There are now five players on the CFC ratings over 2600!
    Who will be the first to reach 2700?

Kovalyov 2638 ....
    Bluvshtein 2634 ....
    Spraggett 2618 ....
    Sambuev 2614 ....
    Samsonkin 2601....
    other ???? ....
    Joel Lautier

Comment

The result of this poll suggests a Bluvshtein - Kovalyov match! Anyone care to find a sponsor? If the games were available live on the internet, I imagine there would be a great deal of interest. :)

Comment

I don't see a single Canadian chess player on the list. Spraggett doesn't play in Canada nor for Canada anymore, and the rest were already established Masters before moving to Canada...

With Bluvshtein living in Canada for more than 10 years, he's the only real Canadian chess player of the bunch, and in my opinion, the one that would make 2700 before the rest of them.

Jordan
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
          I don't see a single Canadian chess player on the list. Spraggett doesn't play in Canada nor for Canada anymore, and the rest were already established Masters before moving to Canada...

With Bluvshtein living in Canada for more than 10 years, he's the only real Canadian chess player of the bunch, and in my opinion, the one that would make 2700 before the rest of them.

Jordan
          What's your criteria for a being a "real Canadian chess player"? Living in Canada for more then 10 years seems like a rather random and arbitrary yardstick.

To become a Canadian citizen you only have to have lived in the country for 3 of the past 4 years, and that doesn't apply to children either. There's more to it then that, but that's the only time requirement.

The chess community should work towards being inclusive, not excluding players because they happen to have been born somewhere else. If somebody moves here, wants to play chess, and represent Canada, then I don't see the point of making asinine arguments about how "Canadian" they are.

Comment

Good point.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post
              Joel Lautier
              Good one, Tony. Lautier was born in Toronto.

I think that Mark Bluvshtein, like D.A. Yanofsky and Peter Biyiasas, learned to play "good chess" in Canada (arguably the latter two both in Winnipeg), even if all were born abroad.

Canada has long welcomed immigrant chess masters. They are all true Canadians. But if possible, we are ever so slightly more proud of the ones who learned to play good chess here. That is the mildest form of local boosterism. One country, a near neighbour of ours, used to have a rule that you couldn't play on their Olympiad team or in their national closed championship unless you were born there.

Frank Marshall spent his formative years (aged 10 to 19) as a youth in Montreal, and that is where he learned to play chess ...

Two great players who announced they would come to Canada but did not stay were Geza Maroczy and Leonid Shamkovich. I think that the Shamkovich story is well known (he was booted by Immigration) but I wonder what happened to the great Hungarian. The immigration was supposed to happen in the 1920s. He was exiled from Hungary in the early 1920s, so perhaps he dropped the plans when his homeland made him feel more welcome. Extra Hungariam non est vita.

Comment

I would guess that Mark Bluvshtein will be the first, he certainly has done well at such a young age and has had some impressive victories against some very high profile players (short and shirov).

Players not born here??? who cares... unless we are of native decent, our families are all immigrants. Heck I would even count KS as a Canadian because he hasn't bothered to transfer his title over to Portugal (if we were only that lucky!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                  Players not born here??? who cares... unless we are of native decent, our families are all immigrants. Heck I would even count KS as a Canadian because he hasn't bothered to transfer his title over to Portugal (if we were only that lucky!)
                  Maybe he has tried and Portugal didn't want him either!? ;)
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Does anyone know what FIDE charges to transfer a GM affiliation? It used to be 5,000SF! This is about the same in Can$.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      Does anyone know what FIDE charges to transfer a GM affiliation? It used to be 5,000SF! This is about the same in Can$.
                      As I remember: about 130 (? Euro) for transfer, and in emergency (to play immediately under the new flag) a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                      X