Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Open in Kitchener Oct 17-19

posted on the old Chesstalk (by Michael von Keitz - OCA Secretary):

After much delay, the OCA is proud to announce the Ontario Open in Kitchener, running from October 17-19. Additional details will be released shortly.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Ontario Open in Kitchener Oct 17-19

Congratulations to the OCA! Somewhere they might say "back to basics", or "do what you're good at". Elsewhere they might say something like: looch-she PO-zdna, chem nyi-kag-DA ("better late than never", in a language often overheard at chess tournaments).

Comment

Is not that the weekend of the Octoberfest tourney in Kitchener?
      If it is then the OCA has not added a lost tournament but deleted a regular tournament. If that is chess progress then I better change my socks to the ones in the hamper as it is this change that stinks.
      I thought Chris Mallaon would be a breath of fresh air but an air wick would change that situation. If the OCA wnats support then create more tournaments ,do not decrease them.
      John R, Brown

Comment

I must have missed it, how/why is upgrading an existing tournament bad?
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Upgrading is not the problem. Reducing the number of tournaments is the problem.
          Having less tournaments reduces revenue for both the CFC and the OCA via memberships and rating fess. This is why not creting an Ontario Open as an extra tournament is the problem. Hope you did not miss this one as three strikes could put you out of the game.
          John R. Brown

Comment

John, I understand your concern, but I don't know if it's fair to bash Chris for this mess-up from the previous organization. All the leagues/regions go into full swing in the fall, so it must have been tough to try and add an event. I believe that what the OCA has come up is palatable(sp?) ... Note that you can count on the 2009 Ontario Open being on the traditional Victoria Day weekend, as we're already planning for it in Ottawa! :)

Comment

Yes, the schedule is remarkably full this fall. Which is a good problem to have :)
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Chris: Why is the Ontario Open within one week of the Chessca Open?
                Both tourneys serve the same pool of players. I hope it does'nt mean
                poor attendance for both.

Wilf Ferner

Comment

The Ontario Open is "merging" with the Oktoberfest Open to be the Oktoberfest Ontario Open (ooo!). If anything you could ask why the Chessca Open was scheduled so closely to the already existing Kitchener tournament. Luckily Hal is out of the country or the Guelph event would be the weekend after Chessca!
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hello everyone,

This is in response to the comment that the Chessca Open tournament being scheduled within one week apart the Ontario Open. We very much regret the fact that the tournament falls in the same month of many major tournaments in Ontario, notably the Ontario Open. This would presumably affect not only tournament turnout but also the overall success of both tournaments. This is the negative effect which we have tried avoiding while planning for the Chessca Open in the previous year.

In early May this year, we have written an email to the CFC/a local organiser of most of the major/common tournaments in Guelph/KW region, asking for the dates of the tournaments scheduled to be held later this year. The purpose of the email was to avoid any overlappings of tournaments. However, despite our effort, our emails were never replied. In addition, since we have not heard of any news of potential major tournaments coming up by August 1, we decided to go ahead and promote the Chessca Open.

Since the tournament contract has been signed with the venue operator, and announcements have been sent out, retracting the tournament at this point would not be feasible. In the future, we will ensure a greater level of communication among local organisers, caution, and efforts to be taken to avoid this similar situation.

All being said and done, we hope that both tournaments will garner support from chess players alike. We are glad to see existing and new organisers stepping up to serve the chess community. As an organiser, I believe I am not alone when I say that the intention of any organiser is mainly to serve and help propel the game to a higher level.

We wish the organiser of the Ontario Open great success, and our sincere apologies to any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Sincerely,
                    Mei.
                    ________
                    Michigan medical marijuana dispensaries
                    Last edited by Mei Chen Lee; Thursday, 24th March, 2011, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I still don't see this as a problem. I think (long-term dream plan) it'd be cool to have a tournament virtually every weekend somewhere in Ontario. And enough players to fill them all, while we're at it :)
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Tournament heaven

Thanks for the comments Mei. It does illustrate a "problem" we have in the SWOCL area (South Western Ontario Chess League), so many wonderful chess organizers and tournaments. There are a few times during the year that you literally (with some travel) can play every weekend. This is a "problem" that players in other regions of Canada would love to have.

Mei's Chessca tournament last year was an outstanding success.

Kitchener's Oktoberfest tournament in a perennial favourite.

I am going to both. Heaven.;)

Comment

Mei, don't sweat it. There are some of us who will probably play both tournaments. As both Bob and Chris have pointed out, sometimes SWOCL does have an embarrasment of riches when it comes to tournaments. IIRC the Brantford Open used to be on the last week of October and London had theirs in mid/late November.

Steve

Comment

We're working on a new website for SWOCL, coming soon with hopefully a full list of the 08-09 Grand Prix!
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

[quote=Mei Chen Lee;1819]

In early May this year, I have written an email to the CFC/a local organiser of most of the major/common tournaments in Guelph/KW region, asking for the dates of the tournaments scheduled to be held later this year. The purpose of the email was to avoid any overlappings of tournaments. [quote]

Unfortunately, you had NOT contacted anyone at the KW chess club, including me.
                              The KW club is most certainly an organizer of MOST of the tournaments in Kitchener/Waterloo.

I sincerely wish you HAD contacted at least me.

Also, the Oktoberfest Open has been held for MANY years now. Anyone attending tournaments in this area would be able to tell you this.
                              ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
                              Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Working...
                              X