New CFC Chess Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New CFC Chess Forum

I get immediate access to it from my work computer (well - at this moment anyways) - but not my home one (Sympatico). I'll try a "tracert" when I get home to see if there is a bottleneck somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      I get immediate access to it from my work computer (well - at this moment anyways) - but not my home one (Sympatico). I'll try a "tracert" when I get home to see if there is a bottleneck somewhere.

I believe Bob Armstrong is also on Sympatico... perhaps there is a peering bottleneck, but out of curiosity, what dns servers do you (and Bob) use?
      Rogers dns servers are known to be overloaded and provide between poor and brutal performance... I imagine Sympatico dns servers are similar...

You might try using OpenDNS or (my preference) the Level3 dns servers at: 4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 ... to .6

:)
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Using Opera 9.51 or Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.16 under XP, the new forum at chesscanada.info loads quickly. AVG AV in both cases. I have not signed up yet (or have I?) so this is no test of authentication delays.

In view of costly insurance and litigation at the USCF, I thought that the CFC could learn from that experience by leaving the public forum business to the CMA and the Dark Boarders. Though I suppose that a forum could all be part of the marketing plan, a one-stop-shopping-for-chess in Canada.

In ye olde days, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, the GLs achieved a bit of polish (or whatever you want to call it) because the President and the Secretary would use the telephone (incidentally, when I click the italics thingie, the cursor should go to where I can resume typing, rather than to the beginning of the document), which was invented in 1876, just four years after the founding of the Canadian Chess Association. As a result, written comments were sometimes changed or enhanced by their authors before appearing in print in the GL. The use of the telephone provided a kind of palæolithic private forum for the govs and exec.

Comment

I'm on Sympatico at home, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            I believe Bob Armstrong is also on Sympatico... perhaps there is a peering bottleneck, but out of curiosity, what dns servers do you (and Bob) use?
            Rogers dns servers are known to be overloaded and provide between poor and brutal performance... I imagine Sympatico dns servers are similar...

You might try using OpenDNS or (my preference) the Level3 dns servers at: 4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 ... to .6

:)
            I have dial up and not sympatico. Sometimes the board is quick and sometimes impossible.

Something I've noticed about this type setup is the traffic is good when they start but tends to drop off. Threads are quickly forgotten as newer ones start and the older ones slide down the list. Probably most people don't even look at the pages of older threads to see what is there. I know I don't.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Kerry:

I am on sympatico. But I am a Neanderthal. I will have to take your post to my " Computer Doctor " to have him translate and take remedial action. Seems like those on Sympatico seem to all be having problems.

Bob

Comment

Hi Kerry:

You're probably right. I'm on Sympatico too (although I had not noticed significant bottlenecks before with this sort of thing) but the problem magically cleared earlier today. It was definitely a routing problem of some sort and this board mechanism is a lot more intensive that way.

For Bob: let people here know if the problem clears up today for you; it looks like it was a DNS problem (i.e. new domain name but the existing servers haven't heard of it yet so they keep asking other servers until somebody knows that they should have turned left at Albuquerque.)

For Gary, you missed the point.

Steve

Comment

I have no problem with this site (same host) but have been experiencing VERY slow loads of the CFC forum ... sometimes taking sooooooooo looooooonnngg that the site times out and says it cannot load.

I just tried it now, though, and it loaded fine ...

I had been in contact with Chris and he said that he was not having any problem, I suggested that he contact the hosting company and ask anyway ... perhaps he did and they found something ...

Is anyone loading the CFC forum slow now?
                  ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
                  Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Hi Steve:

Somebody has done something. The CFC Chess Forum site is now working like a charm for me. Let's hope it stays that way now. Thank you, thank you , thank you - to whomever ! You have my gratitude 'til my dying day.

Bob

Comment

Hi Patrick:

As I told Steve above, it is working like a charm now. Thanks to whomever.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post

For Gary, you missed the point.

Steve
                        Thank you, Steve. I look to all my friends to keep me pointed in the right direction. :)
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I looked over the Governor's list and it strikes me there are a lot of Governor's who are either inactive politically or limit their involvement to voting yes/no to just a few motions. You don't see much input at all from a fair number of Governors.
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 26th August, 2008, 08:57 PM.

Comment

It's still got spotty performance which means it's not been set up right. Sympatico has a huge customer base. Kind of a red flag of what might occur if they change the ratng software with inexperienced IT people thinking it will be simple.

Comment

48 of 61 Governors voted on the most recent 4 motions.

Comment

Duncan,

I've set up dozens of websites, I'm not exactly inexperienced.

Given that 95% of visitors have not had the problem, most who did are no longer having the problem, and that I did nothing to try to fix it, it seems clear it is not a problem caused by anything that I did.
                                Christopher Mallon
                                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                                X