• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CFC Chess Forum

An interesting thread from the " dying " board:

Posted by Ken Craft on August 19, 2008, 7:24:21
    CFC Governor New Brunswick

The Treasurer has unilaterally moved postings of mine from the public section of the CFC website to the private Governors read only section of the website. A new era of transparency has dawned in the Federation...

Posted by Ken Craft on August 19, 2008, 9:03:00, in reply to "Re: CFC Website"
    CFC Governor New Brunswick

I did not post anything confidential in the open section of the CFC website. They were over the issue of whether members should be allowed to read Governors deliberations on issue which are not confidential.

The issue very early in the mandate of this executive is the one of transparency. Given that the Treasurer is an administrator on the New Chesstalk, I wonder about the integrity of the posting system.

I don't want a fight; I want a transparent federation.

Posted by Bob Armstrong on August 19, 2008, 11:34:43, in reply to "Re: CFC Website"
    Toronto ON Scarboro CC

Hi Ken:

I saw your post on the New CFC Chess Forum ( I had early access during the testing period because I had donated to get it up and running ). I didn't realize it had been moved, but when I just checked, sure enough it is gone.

If Chris wanted the governors to discuss your suggestion that members be given " view only " status for the private governors' board, why didn't he just " copy " your post and then re-post it over there. Then it would have been both places. I'm sure members would have opinions on this issue - I'm certainly in favour. As you said somewhere ( it may have been that disappeared post ) , it would be no different than when members read governors' comments in the GL.

Concerns me if this is any deliberate attempt at censorship. Hopefully it is just an inadvertant error by Chris.

Bob

New CFC Chess Forum

Posted by Peter Stockhausen on August 19, 2008, 11:14:53, in reply to "CFC Website"
    Former CFC Prez Vancouver BC

Hi Ken,

And where exactly could I find these boards....? Maybe I am going blind but I do not see a header on our web site.

Cheers
    Peter

Posted by Bob Armstrong on August 19, 2008, 11:25:02, in reply to "Re: CFC Website"
    Toronto ON Scarboro CC

Hi Peter:

I thought there was going to be an " official " announcement of the new CFC Chess Forum. I had been given early access to it during the testing period ( since I made a donation towards getting it up and running ), and was told it would be coming. But there is nothing yet under " news " nor is there a link on the side of the CFC website homepage.

But now that Ken has disclosed its existence, I guess CFC will now have to play catch-up.

The link is below.

I think it is great that CFC has once again got its own board up and running. It should be providing a place for CFC members, and the public, to discuss CFC matters. And anything else. That doesn't preclude posts here on ChessTalk as well, but the main thread on CFC issues should develop on the CFC Board. Also, unlike you, Peter, many governors will not post here. Maybe if members use the new board, we can convince governors to post there and dialogue with ordinary members ( while still posting on their own private governors' board ).

So go register on the new board. There are a few starting threads there of interest. Hopefully there will be many more as posters/viewers register.

Bob

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/

Re: New CFC Chess Forum

God frigging damn. I refuse to partake in such malarky.
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

That's the best post you have ever written, Ben.;)

Comment

Be my girl, son.
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

With respect to the new CFC message board, the speed of the site is terrible it makes the CFC look bad. Secondly, the idea of a private board for executive/governors++ is pretty lame. Why doesn't the CFC understand it's now a very small organization that needs to open up it's communications not close them down.

The CFC seems to forever revert back to cautious, closed management that has been proven to be for the most part ineffective for at least 8 years. I don't see much of anything having changed in this time period except the fiscal bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
            ... the idea of a private board for executive/governors++ is pretty lame. Why doesn't the CFC understand it's now a very small organization that needs to open up it's communications not close them down.
            ?!

The CFC is shelling out money, presumably, for the new board. The Governors are separated by thousands of kilometers and rarely, if ever, see each other. And, finally, it's common practice for organizations to have in camera discussions before opening things up to a wider membership and public.

In the case of the CFC, where litigation and threats of litigation have flown left and right lately, this is probably essential and not simply common practice. Are there not personnel matters that should be private? Are there not matters subject to negotiations with outside parties that should be private? Apparently such concerns are "lame".

Ultra democracy can destroy an organization just as much as no democracy can destroy an organization. What I want to know is that Governors are free to speak their minds to each other, and even have sharp differences of opinion, before coming together to try and solve the problems the CFC is facing. And the CFC is facing plenty of problems.

Having the membership peer over their shoulders and second guess every step the Governors, or any body for that matter, deliberates on is just one more way to ensure the CFC crashes and burns.

And that's something I'd rather not see.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

If we were to review the track record of the CFC governor's one can easily understand why the prospect of closed door meetings amongst CFC governor's doesn't build confidance.

Obviously you expect far more from the new private board then the last private board.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                If we were to review the track record of the CFC governor's one can easily understand why the prospect of closed door meetings amongst CFC governor's doesn't build confidance.

Obviously you expect far more from the new private board then the last private board.
                If the CFC were more successful at this point in time, I suspect closed door meetings would not be an issue.

I don't see open meetings and real time criticism as any recipe for success.

People are trying to help. An Olympic fundraiser in Vancouver was cancelled for lack of entries. At least they tried. Why don't you try organizing an fundraiser in Toronto? Maybe sell some memerships as a result.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Duncan:

1. Speed of the new CFC Chess Forum - Governor Egis Zeromskis and I are having the same problem you are - it is verrrrrry slowwwww. Chris says it is fine from his computer, and that only the three of us are experiencing problems. It took me 105 seconds to load the site. Then 90 seconds after I clicked on the thread I wanted. Then another 90 seconds after clicking on the reply I wanted to repy to. And this happens usually. Sometimes I get the screen saying the page cannot be downloaded. When I try to refresh it can take minutes.

Is there anyone else having this problem with the new site?

2. I agree Duncan that CFC communication is paramount now. On the CFC Board, we have been suggesting to the Executive that the Governor's private forum should give " read only " status to members/public. That way we can see the debate live, and if we want to discuss it among ourselves we can go to the CFC Chess Forum ( or here ) and hash it around. And maybe some governors might even come to the plebs boards to join in the debate. The Governors could always have a second " Confidential " board for the rare times when they are not yet ready to go public.

What do you think of this suggestion to at least try to open up some communication?

Bob

Comment

I don't find the new CFC forum slow. Dull, maybe, but it's dullness loads in 5 seconds or so.

Comment

I have also found the new CFC forum very slow. This morning it is a little faster - but still 20-30 seconds to get a response each time.

Comment

I just timed it... three seconds to open the front page, the one second for each of the next two. Can't argue with that.

Comment

Hi John:

Wish I had your speed! Don't know what's going on with those of us that have 30-60 sec. response time. Does anyone know why these differences? It's a real pain in the butt having to wait.

Bob

Comment

My response times are very quick, too. Less than three seconds to do anything.
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Seems erratic, and dependent on where you log in. Earlier this week from my work computer it was less than 3 seconds. At home on the weekend it took close to a minute. I was logging on as guest both times.

Comment

Working...
                              X