Aman Hambleton - IM norm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aman Hambleton - IM norm?

Aman Hambleton has a chance to achieve an IM norm if he wins the last game.:)

Watch his game LIVE at http://monroi.com/watch/?tnm_id=1406

Re: Aman Hambleton - IM norm?

Originally posted by Zeljka Malobabic View Post

Frustrating to watch w/ illegal moves entered by players on MonRoi.They are vying on the board and not on those needling devices, thus this technology lacks, compared to DGT, the only way to go imo for live xcasts. Volunteers for top boards entering the moves may be the way to go. Usu. player forgets to enter one move, and b is w, or viceversa.Where to find ammended scoresheets, other than Hugh's CanBaseII?:)

Comment

I also have some questions. I was trying to watch the Hambleton game, when suddenly a bishop move was made... the thing is, there were no bishops on the board. How is that possible? I can understand a player might enter a wrong move, but how can a player can move a piece that isn't even on the board?

Comment

Quickly going over the cross table, there were 30 unrated FIDE players with a ratable performance, i.e. they scored 1 point from at least 3 FIDE-rated players. They need to have 9 rated games (the rest can all be losses) to get a published rating (if above the 1200 floor).

Those just above the 1900 cut for acclelerated pairings met several FIDE-rated players at the begining. They don't to play FIDE-rated players in under 2000 sections, so they really benefitted from this one section event.

Kit-Sun Ng 2062 1.5-3.5
        Ismail Ibrahim 2062 2-1+
        Alex T. Ferreira 2054 1-3+
        Brendan Fan 2015 2-3
        Derick Joshua Twesigye 1990
        Andre Zybura 1989 1-3
        Robert Bzikot 1984 2-3
        James Fu 1978 3.5-2.5
        Louis Cheng 1975 1-1+
        Simon Gladstone 1946 1-3+
        Robert Roller 1937 3.5-2.5+
        Laurent Allard 1934 1.5-3.5
        Ruokai [David] Li 1-2+
        Yves Ber 1914 1.5-2.5+
        John W Chidley-Hill 1897 1-2
        John Doknjas 1896 1.5-3.5
        Paul Stephens 1882 2-1
        Ralph Deline 1869 1-2+
        David Poirier 1855 1-3
        Ferdinand Supsup 1851 1.5-3.5
        Arjun Bharat 1841 2-2
        Alex Rapoport 1838 1.5-.5+
        Ed Zator 1835 1.5-.5+
        Branislav Rajsic 1782 1-3
        Juliaan Posaratnanathan 1768 1.5-2.5
        Alex Lambruschini 1744 1-2
        Greg Beal 1728 2-0+
        Jonathan Lai 1727 2-3
        Matthew Scott 1506 1-3
        Wayne Siu 1449 1-2+

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          I also have some questions. I was trying to watch the Hambleton game, when suddenly a bishop move was made... the thing is, there were no bishops on the board. How is that possible? I can understand a player might enter a wrong move, but how can a player can move a piece that isn't even on the board?
          Because there's a Bishop button on those monroi 'devices'? Illegal moves seem to be tolerated, as well as viruses from their site. More importantly, were Friedel (vs. Hambleton), and Harikrishna (vs Yoos), distracted from their games due to these devices?

Comment

What an incredible performance! Two wins over GMs, including one world-class GM, two high draws and only one loss, again against a much "better than average" GM. That is an IM-norm-worthy performance, but he only drew the last game. Possible spoilers include three games that he won. Given higher-rated opponents in some of those games, he might still have won and thus made an IM norm.

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
              Illegal moves seem to be tolerated, as well as viruses from their site.
              I used one a couple of years ago, and the Monroi people told me that FIDE requires that the device accept illegal moves, otherwise it could be counted as an external aid -- giving advice about what moves to play.

Personally, I prefer them to scoresheets: they're much faster when in time trouble.

Comment

MONROI.com Presentations

Zeljka, Thanks for an exciting week of games to watch on-line. I really enjoy watching Canadians play such competition. Your efforts are appreciated BIG TIME!!

Comment

Fabulous win by Aman over GM Friedel. 21 move game ending with a Q-sac on an empty square and mate soon. Friedel also lost to a Canadian in 21 moves to a (R)-sac and mate in 2006. But it was an ugly game.

Duncan Suttles said that the truly great players (at the time he was speaking of Karpov) only ever make the same mistake twice. Will Friedel prove his greatness by never losing again like this?

Comment

Close to a GM norm.

Aman won two games in rounds 4 and 5 against players who, according to TWIC, don't have FIDE ratings. Assuming the other FIDE ratings given by TWIC are correct:

over these 7 games Aman was +3-1=3, or +2. Then 2*400 = 800. Add 800 to the sum of the ratings. 18,087 is the total, divided by 7 = a 2583+ performance. A GM performance would be 2600. Pretty close.

Too bad about those other two wins.

Did something similar happen at the 2009 Canadian Open?

Maybe the CFC can repair both of those by voting for the winner of the FIDE Presidential election. :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                      I used one a couple of years ago, and the Monroi people told me that FIDE requires that the device accept illegal moves, otherwise it could be counted as an external aid -- giving advice about what moves to play.

Personally, I prefer them to scoresheets: they're much faster when in time trouble.
                      You'll pry my Monroi only out of my cold dead hands. Several people who have watched me use mine have been convinced to buy their own.

They do allow illegal moves if set properly to FIDE/CFC/USCF rules but even with that confounding problem it is usually easier to reconstruct the game afterwards even if you miss a move or two along the way. There are certainly far less errors on the Monroi than on a paper scoresheet.

They are distracting when you first learn to use them but once you have played a few games on them you wonder what the fuss about not using them was about.

Comment

Re: Close to a GM norm.

The changed FIDE title regulations are to blame. Before July 1, 2009 Aman's result would have earned him an IM norm with a point to spare, and a win in the last round would have given him a GM norm. Under the new rules you are only allowed to raise one player to the adjusted rating floor (2050 for IM), and any other unrated opponents are counted the same as the overall rating floor, which FIDE in its infinite wisdom has now dropped to 1200. Hence unfortunately no norm at all for a stellar result.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                          The changed FIDE title regulations are to blame. Before July 1, 2009 Aman's result would have earned him an IM norm with a point to spare, and a win in the last round would have given him a GM norm. Under the new rules you are only allowed to raise one player to the adjusted rating floor (2050 for IM), and any other unrated opponents are counted the same as the overall rating floor, which FIDE in its infinite wisdom has now dropped to 1200. Hence unfortunately no norm at all for a stellar result.
                          That's interesting. So if Aman had played an opponent with the same rating, but a FIDE rather than a national rating, in the 4th or 5th round, the other would not count as 1200 and Aman would have an IM norm?

Tempting, but I am so glad that I've been retired from directing tournaments. Somebody on this board might decry pairing shenanigans and assert that average players therefore have been abused. I'm too sensitive for that. Like a Dahlia.

I wonder how much it would cost to run a 9-round IM norm tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                            That's interesting. So if Aman had played an opponent with the same rating, but a FIDE rather than a national rating, in the 4th or 5th round, the other would not count as 1200 and Aman would have an IM norm?
                            Correct. If Ng had a FIDE rating around 2050 the effect would be the same as under the old rules, when two players could be raised to the adjusted ratings floor. Actually, even under the new rules, if the overall ratings floor were still at 1400 Aman would have his norm, which I find the most sickening part of this business.

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                            I wonder how much it would cost to run a 9-round IM norm tournament.
                            Ask Vlad Rekhson, that's what the Edmonton International is advertised as.

Comment

Re : Aman Hambleton - IM norm?

The Quebec Open is a very good tournament for norms too. There are about 25 players in the first section, and only 6 of them don't have a FIDE title.
                              http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/index.php?...ie=1&prvsl=oui

It's sad that Aman Hambleton didn't get a norm, he deserved it...

Comment

Working...
                              X