Chess Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Quotes

I have created a new website that you may find of interest: www.chessquotes.com. I hope you enjoy it!

Re : Chess Quotes

Originally posted by David Lawless View Post
    I have created a new website that you may find of interest: www.chessquotes.com. I hope you enjoy it!
    Huge amount of quotes, well organized! Nice work!

Comment

Re: Chess Quotes

David, this site is amazing. I love chess, and I love quotes! I expect your site to take off very shortly, but maybe you can try to get some publicity on chessbase.com

My favourite was Hort's quote: "In blitz, the knight is stronger than the Bishop." What a true statement :)

A site you may find of interest is Steve Laughlin's http://stevengalen.com/chessanagrams.html

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Re: Chess Quotes-Reader input

Is there a place where readers can submit ideas?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
          Is there a place where readers can submit ideas?

Mike
          http://www.chessquotes.com/contact/

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            That's a very interesting website to visit and remember later some of those quotes. It is a really useful material!

Comment

Lots of fun. I checked out the section on my boyhood chess hero Alekhine. Some of the comments were brilliant, especially Fischer's. Purists might object to the lack of references and the presence of "it was said of XX that YY." My favourite Alekhine quote, though I can't provide a reference, was "I dominate them all." Context might help with reader appreciation of that one.

Comment

Yes, the purists are correct! I will be adding a reference/bibliography page in the future. Edward Winter has published a few comments about how so many quotes have been published without proper reference.

BTW, I have incorporated into my site quite a few of the suggestions I have received.

Many readers have complimented me on the "Today In History" file. I am updating it as I uncover dates of interesting chess events. Perhaps someone could lead me in the right direction ... I am looking for the following information:

1. A comprehensive list of the dates of all the World Junior Championships - I can only find the dates of relatively recent WJC's

2. The dates that the following well-known games took place:

i. 1995: The Pearl of Wijk aan Zee, Roberto Cifuentes-Parada and Vadim Zvjaginsev
                ii. 1957: The Immortal losing game between Bogdan Sliwa and David Bronstein
                iii. 1934: The Peruvian Immortal by Esteban Canal
                iv. 1930: The Polish Immortal - Glucksberg vs. Najdorf
                v. 1923: The Immortal Zugzwang Game - Fritz Sämisch vs. Aaron Nimzowitsch
                vi. 1912: Levitsky - Marshall - Gold Coins Game
                vii. 1907: Rotlewi - Rubinstein
                viii. 1889: Lasker – Bauer
                ix. 1872: Hamppe – Meitner, Vienna, the "Immortal Draw"
                x. 1852: The Evergreen game between Adolf Anderssen and Jean Dufresne
                xi. 1844: Hoffmann - Petroff Petroff's Immortal

3. Fischer's last words - I know I read them somewhere online, but I can't recall where ... I know what he said, but I am unsure of the exact wording ...

Comment

iv. good luck (see http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/najdorf.html)

vi. 20 July 1912 (end of http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/marshall.html)

vii. 26 December 1907 (Donaldson and Minev, The Life and Games of Akiva Rubinstein, volume 1, 2nd ed.)

viii. 26 August 1889 (Ken Whyld, The Collected Games of Emanuel Lasker)

Comment

Stephen, thanks for your help! The site has been updated ... and I am awaiting the discovery of the true date of the Polish Immortal Game.

I have a lot of chess books, but not the ones on Rubinstein and Lasker. Perhaps I should have grabbed the one on Rubinstein before the Strategy Games Canadian Open Trivia Contest - as I simply guessed (wrongly) on the question of the year of Rubinstein's 5 consecutive tournament victories.

I have created a Facebook page for the website. Every Tuesday I publish a quote that I believe will be of interest to all chess players - and even some persons who don't partake in the Royal Game. I invite all members of ChessTalk to "like" the page.

Comment

Stephen, thanks for your help! The site has been updated ... and I am awaiting the discovery of the true date of the Polish Immortal Game.
                      In case you missed: http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/najdorf.html
                      with a conclusion - the date is not known.

The game http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1100774

Comment

Love the site,bookmarked on my Blackberry-I can use this a ton in teaching.....

Comment

"Before to be a Fischer - you have to be a fish" - a popular broken-English Montreal quote from the early 70's.

Comment

Working...
                          X