Men's Line-up Rd 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Line-up Rd 10

Leonid took Thomas' place on Board 2 and got the only win today over a world class player.....

So I would suggest giving Mark a rest tomorrow and let Thomas have White on Board 1 going for the GM title. Kazakhstan's second board has been playing much stronger than their board 1, so this would seem to be the favourable match-up.

Re: Men's Line-up Rd 10

Fred,

I concur. On board 1, Thomas will have white against a player who has drawn many games.

Kazhastan #1 has 2 wins, 1 loss and 5 draws.
    Kazhastan #2 has 6 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws.

http://chess-results.com/tnr36795.as...0&m=-1&wi=1000
    Last edited by Jean Sasseville; Thursday, 30th September, 2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post
      Fred,

I concur. On board 1, Thomas will have white against a player who has drawn many games.

Kazhastan #1 has 2 wins, 1 loss and 5 draws.
      Kazhastan #2 has 6 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws.

http://chess-results.com/tnr36795.as...0&m=-1&wi=1000
      Thomas is very capable of drawing on board two with black. I think that in the last two rounds Canada needs to field its best team. Norms are nice but this tournament can't be about that. For the best performance Canada needs both Mark and Thomas to be there!

Comment

Doesn't it stand to reason that if Thomas needed a break today, then Mark might need a break tomorrow ?

We may never find out why Thomas didn't play today.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
          Doesn't it stand to reason that if Thomas needed a break today, then Mark might need a break tomorrow ?

I presume the team captain might have mentioned why to the players involved (but I could be wrong). Even if that was the case, you may be right that we will never hear such reasons...

Perhaps you should check out Susan Polgar's blog posts about playing in the Olympiad - "In such an important event where one plays for national pride, no serious player will just mail it in. Everyone comes to each game to fight."

eg here:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2010...-in-chess.html
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Susan Polgar's blog posts about playing in the Olympiad - "In such an important event where one plays for national pride, no serious player will just mail it in. Everyone comes to each game to fight."
            I know. Just the other day our team beat Ecuador and today they had an attempted coup in the country. They really take their chess seriously. :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I presume the team captain might have mentioned why to the players involved (but I could be wrong). Even if that was the case, you may be right that we will never hear such reasons...

Perhaps you should check out Susan Polgar's blog posts about playing in the Olympiad - "In such an important event where one plays for national pride, no serious player will just mail it in. Everyone comes to each game to fight."

eg here:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2010...-in-chess.html
              I agree Kerry. Of course Mark can have the break if thats what the team captain wants, but I don't think that it should be done in order to arrange something for norm chances, I mean, its also not that clear that putting Thomas on board one will really increase his norm chances all that much. Also, the players have the day after tomorrow off so if someone absolutely needs a rest perhaps they can get it then. I guess if I had to choose I would give Noritsyn a day off since he had a couple of losses in a row, but thats just my opinion.

Comment

Leonid took Thomas' place on Board 2 and got the only win today over a world class player.....

So I would suggest giving Mark a rest tomorrow and let Thomas have White on Board 1 going for the GM title. Kazakhstan's second board has been playing much stronger than their board 1, so this would seem to be the favourable match-up.
                And what if the Kazak's team captain decides to give a rest to his first board player and puts his no.2 on board 1?:D

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Brunet View Post
                  And what if the Kazak's team captain decides to give a rest to his first board player and puts his no.2 on board 1?:D
                  Probably not. Their reserve person (IM Grebenschikov Vladimir 2282 KAZ) played only one match. He is an "old" man (B-Year 1958, according to FIDE), meaning that he might just came to a FIDE meeting :D (FIDE website lists him as an arbiter too :)

Comment

Why not? Yura's decision, and Hal may have a hand in this too, certainly killed any medal hopes w/ a 'hot' R.R. out for this crucial round. Perhaps because he was due black vs. a strong vet gm...

Comment

Susan Polgar's blog posts about playing in the Olympiad - "In such an important event where one plays for national pride, no serious player will just mail it in. Everyone comes to each game to fight."
                      So, I guess there are no short draws in the Olympiad. Hmmm, Susan, I think you had better think again.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                        So, I guess there are no short draws in the Olympiad. Hmmm, Susan, I think you had better think again.
                        And more popular than astring of apt buildings and houses from Budapest to NY to TO is the BD1 and 2 pre-arranged tagteam draw, letting the lessers determine the 'important' result

Comment

Perhaps you should check out Susan Polgar's blog posts about playing in the Olympiad - "In such an important event where one plays for national pride, no serious player will just mail it in."
                          i think ruben would disagree with that

you get it man? it's a correspondence joke

hyuk hyuk hyuk
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                          X