Where and when are Canada's senior's tournaments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where and when are Canada's senior's tournaments?

I recall that there have been Senior's tournaments/championships held in Canada (somewhere in Ontario, more specifically) in the past. Now that I have been a 'senior' at age 50 (since last November), in accordance with the definition of senior used within Canadian chess organizer's circles, I've started looking for Senior's events that I might decide to play in, and I haven't found any on the CFC website so far, after a quick search of coming Ontario (including Toronto) tournaments. Are there any such events coming or being planned for this year, in Ontario or elsewhere in Canada?

A bit disconcerting that it took me this long since my birthday to think of it. :(
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Where and when are Canada's senior's tournaments?

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    I recall that there have been Senior's tournaments/championships held in Canada (somewhere in Ontario, more specifically) in the past. Now that I have been a 'senior' at age 50 (since last November), in accordance with the definition of senior used within Canadian chess organizer's circles, I've started looking for Senior's events that I might decide to play in, and I haven't found any on the CFC website so far, after a quick search of coming Ontario (including Toronto) tournaments. Are there any such events coming or being planned for this year, in Ontario or elsewhere in Canada?

A bit disconcerting that it took me this long since my birthday to think of it. :(
    The World Seniors is open to players 60+. Last year Ralph Deline won the Canadian Senior's, organized by Hal in the summer, but you've got 10 years to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      The World Seniors is open to players 60+. Last year Ralph Deline won the Canadian Senior's, organized by Hal in the summer, but you've got 10 years to wait.
      Was the Canadian Senior's lower age limit 50 or 60?

I thought I remembered reading that in Canada age 50 was considered a Senior by (at least some) organizers.

Comment

Was the Canadian Senior's lower age limit 50 or 60?

I thought I remembered reading that in Canada age 50 was considered a Senior by (at least some) organizers.
        60. It was at the same time as the Ontario Closed and Canadian Amateur

Comment

Just searched for the word 'Seniors' on the CFC Discussion Board. I noticed that the 2010 Toronto Seniors seemed to have a lower age limit of 60 too.

I noticed Hal's post, in the following link, concerning the Canadian Seniors that you mentioned. Hal refers to David Cohen holding an age 50+ event at one point in the past, so there is at least one example, probably from before 2010, that jibes with my memory (though perhaps age 60+ has become the new Canadian standard!?):

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...hlight=Seniors

Comment

Hi Kevin. It seems to me that a 50+ Ontario (or perhaps 'Toronto') Seniors event was held several years running, in the late '90s/early '00s at a small hotel on St. Clair Ave. W. near Avenue Rd. in Toronto. My memory (ha!) says that Lawrence Day was the perennial winner. Perhaps Lawrence, or someone like Wolf Ferner, could help with details. I'm sure it was 50+ because I was informally invited to play one year when I was 50 or 51.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Canadian Seniors Championship Re: Where and when are Canada's senior's tournaments?

Last year, the Kitchener Chess Festival will be hosting the Canadian Amateur tournament as well as the Canadian Seniors Championship ... along with numerous other fun events.
              * The Canadian Amateur - July 30 - August 2
              o Class sections
              o Trophies and cash awards
              Canadian Seniors Championship - July 30 - August 2

... http://www.chessfest.ca/chessfest10/...sstandings.htm

2010 Canadian Seniors
              Standings
              # Name Rating Rd 1 Rd 2 Rd 3 Rd 4 Rd 5 Rd 6 Rd 7 Tot TieBreak Place Prize Right
              1 Ralph Deline 1887 W8 D4 W6 D2 W3 W5 W9 6.0 1794 1st $400 Represent Canada at World Seniors Championship
              2 Jaime Solis 1828 D3 W5 W8 D1 D9 D7 D6 4.5 1795.5 2nd $133.33
              3 Ian Finlay 1934 D2 W7 W4 W5 L1 W10 L8 4.5 1788 3rd $133.33
              4 Pierre Maheux 1846 W9 D1 L3 W6 W10 W8 L5 4.5 1767 $133.33
              5 Istvan Kiss 1825 W10 L2 W7 L3 W6 L1 W4 4.0 1808.5
              6 Hugo Ortiz 1582 H--- W10 L1 L4 L5 W9 D2 3.0 1800
              7 Richard Glew 1826 H--- L3 L5 D9 W8 D2 D10 3.0 1744.5
              8 Thomas R Verny 1725 L1 W9 L2 L10 L7 L4 W3 2.0 1796
              9 Colin B Archibald 1420 L4 L8 W10 D7 D2 L6 L1 2.0 1764
              10 Joe Damsic 1917 L5 L6 L9 W8 L4 L3 D7 1.5 1773

Comment

50+ Toronto Senior Championship Re: Where and when are Canada's senior's tournaments?

Toronto Senior Championship 2010
                Submitted by egiszer on Wed, 2010-10-06 21:48

Willowdale Chess Club presents (a GTCL event):
                The Toronto Senior Chess Championship 2010

October 19 - November 30

This will be an eight player round-robin tournament comprising of the eight highest rated players born in 1960 or earlier who apply.

The deadline for entries will be 9pm Tuesday, October 12 at the Willowdale Chess Club (4169 Bathurst St., inside Earl Bales Park), where the draw for position will take place.

A reserve section will be available if 6 or more additional players enter. The event will be CFC rated, and the rating fees will be paid by the GTCL. CFC membership is required.

Schedule:

Games will be played on consecutive Tuesdays at 7pm at the Willowdale Chess Club (Earl Bales Community Centre at the Earl Bales Park near Bathurst and Sheppard intersection)

Time control:

90 minutes for the game.

Entry fee:

$20,
                for players born in 1950 or earlier - $15,
                for players born in 1940 or earlier - $10

PRIZES:

Chess books for top 3 finishers & Trophy for the winner.

Chess sets and boards are provided by the Willowdale Chess Club. Please bring your chess clock.

Entries & Info:

Fred Kormendi (416) 223-0126

Dear chess friends,

On Tuesday, October 26 at the Willowdale Chess Club took place the first round of Toronto Seniors Championship 2010.

The results are:

Antonio Pussar 0 - 1 Robert Armstrong
                Jeff Pancer 0 - 1 Mickey Stein
                Max Kornmann 1/2 - 1/2 Joe Bellomo
                Fred Kormendi 1 - 0 M. Hassan Pishdad

GTCL:

http://www.torontochess.org/drupal/b...mpionship_2010

Comment

Thanks to all for the info.

I would suggest that in the interest of future CFC-CMA relations, there should be an understanding reached asap on how the Canadian Seniors 'market' will be handled by both sides, as Larry once indicated on chesstalk (either the old or new version) that this 'market' is of possible future interest to the CMA.

Comment

2011 Canadian Seniors Championship July 29-August 1

The 2011 Canadian Seniors Championsihip will be organized again as part of the Kitchener Chess Festival. The winner qualifies for the World Senior in Opatija, Croatia from November 14-27. Players must be 60 or older.

Although the World Senior is an open tournament, our zone is entitled to room and board for one player - the winner of the Canadian Senior.

Comment

Working...
                    X