Hacked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacked...

Well, I'm not sure how they did it, whatever they did they hid VERY deep in the mass of code and data and I could not find it. I did manage to reset everything and I don't think we lost any data even.

Anyway, it's back... only down for 4 hours and 20 minutes heh.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Thanks Chris! N/T

Comment

Re: Thanks Chris! N/T

And again... they somehow got their hands on the mysql database password which only I know and isn't saved anywhere even on my computer?
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

go hackers!

The site getting hacked is the only interesting thing thats ever happened since we switched to the new chesstalk, seems to be just getting more boring every day. The old chesstalk at least had lots of entertaining threads.

in my opinion

Comment

Re: go hackers!

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
          The site getting hacked is the only interesting thing thats ever happened since we switched to the new chesstalk, seems to be just getting more boring every day. The old chesstalk at least had lots of entertaining threads.

in my opinion

Eric,

You don't find the "Alberta Open" thread interesting? You won the tournament.

Comment

Hacked

I was online today when Chris Mallon's account seemed to disappear and was replaced by something called "admin". Then I got an insulting message and decided to shut my PC off for safety reasons. This hacking is getting annoying for what is, after all, only a discussion board.

It would be nice to exact some revenge but I guess that's not currently in the cards.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Hacked

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
              I was online today when Chris Mallon's account seemed to disappear and was replaced by something called "admin". Then I got an insulting message and decided to shut my PC off for safety reasons. This hacking is getting annoying for what is, after all, only a discussion board.

It would be nice to exact some revenge but I guess that's not currently in the cards.
              Makes me wonder. Chris, is there a second admin account besides yours whose password you didn't change? That is one way to hack in. The other way is to get a program to try lots of common passwords, even the whole dictionary to see if your password is one of those. Don't use an easy hackable password like I do. (but then, my account isn't so important).

Comment

Re: Thanks Chris! N/T

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                And again... they somehow got their hands on the mysql database password which only I know and isn't saved anywhere even on my computer?
                It may only be a coincidence, but ever since I signed up for this new board (or around that time...) I have been receiving an unprecedented amount of Russian-language spam and "offers".

Are the email addresses for registrants stored in the clear in the forum files/database? I presume anyone who uses this forum software or has access to it, or -even worse- has access to the source code base [if that is even possible] could seek out such forums and wreak havoc.....
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

My password was 10 digits, alphanumeric. And it wasn't changed, so none of the other admin accounts were hacked.
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                    My password was 10 digits, alphanumeric. And it wasn't changed, so none of the other admin accounts were hacked.
                    Maybe there's a back door password or a screen where whoever is doing it can get around the security. You should write the author and ask him if there is an update for that reason or a fix. It doesn't sound to me like someone is guessing your password.
                    Last edited by Gary Ruben; Wednesday, 15th October, 2008, 06:57 PM.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Hacked...

4:20

ten characters god damn
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                      X