non-CFC-rated tournaments (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-CFC-rated tournaments (?)

How many do you know non-CFC-rated weekend tournaments with >25 players? (except Quebec and a question is just for statistical purposes)

Re: non-CFC-rated tournaments (?)

There are far more non-CFC rated tournaments in Canada than CFC rated events. CFC rated events are simply the tip of the iceberg of chess in Canada....in the same way FIDE rated events are...the tip of the iceberg for chess tournaments in the world :)

Comment

Hi Larry:

Where are the majority of these tournaments? Are they scholastic related?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        There are far more non-CFC rated tournaments in Canada than CFC rated events. CFC rated events are simply the tip of the iceberg of chess in Canada....in the same way FIDE rated events are...the tip of the iceberg for chess tournaments in the world :)
        Lets say, which are not limited in anyway by age, grade, sex, race etc ;) but on weekends so its excludes club's tournaments played over several weeks.

Comment

Well yep Edgis...if we include your previous conditions, now you have summed up the CFC market :)

Comment

As far as I know, non-CFC, non-scholastic, weekend swiss / RR tournaments ( that are equivalent to CFC-rated tournaments ) are fairly rare - here in Toronto, I can't recall one.

So when tournament memberships are eliminated, I don't think those refusing to take out a CFC annual/life membership will have many opportunities to play in the traditional-type tournament. If they love to play competitive chess, I feel they will have to accept their role in maintaining the national organization, and take out a membership.

And I don't see a lot of new non-CFC tournaments springing up as a result of the tournament membership elimination. They would draw too few players - most chess players want to play in CFC-rated tournaments.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              most chess players want to play in CFC-rated tournaments.
              Is it your assumption or have you made a poll?

I think, TDs make CFC-rated tournaments to justify the use of CFC ratings to feed players into class sections (or class prices.)

The popular phrase "I do not want to loose CFC rating points" might be eliminated as the excuse for non-participation in a non-CFC-rated tournament :D

Comment

I played in a 16 player tournament just a couple weeks ago. It was very professionally run (free coffee and pastries!) and had a simul by a former BC Champion :). Considering that the average local tournament (Vernon) is lucky to get 12 people I was quite impressed. A good time had by all. The TD plans to run one in the spring and fall (twice/year). I know I am looking forward to the next one in the spring :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  How many do you know non-CFC-rated weekend tournaments with >25 players? (except Quebec and a question is just for statistical purposes)
                  I can only think of three CFC rated tournaments in BC that meet your criteria

1 - Keres open
                  2 - Victoria chess challenge
                  3 - Langley Labour day open

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post

1 - Keres open
                    My main criteria was a non-CFC-rated open.

1. Keres Open was a CFC rated
                    http://www.chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=200805110
                    2. Victoria chess challenge - I think this is a scholastic event, thus not very open :)
                    3. Is it this tournament - Langley CC Open?
                    http://www.chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=200809016

I am just interested is there any alternative for adults at least in main cities. As I remember the North (-West) Ontario want(ed) no more CFC-rated events, Very South Ontario has similar issues, i.e., 'Rated by Windsor Chess. No membership or extra fees required.' http://home.cogeco.ca/~windsorchess/ad081018.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      My main criteria was a non-CFC-rated open.

1. Keres Open was a CFC rated
                      http://www.chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=200805110
                      2. Victoria chess challenge - I think this is a scholastic event, thus not very open :)
                      3. Is it this tournament - Langley CC Open?
                      http://www.chess.ca/xtableSQL.asp?TNum=200809016

I am just interested is there any alternative for adults at least in main cities. As I remember the North (-West) Ontario want(ed) no more CFC-rated events, Very South Ontario has similar issues, i.e., 'Rated by Windsor Chess. No membership or extra fees required.' http://home.cogeco.ca/~windsorchess/ad081018.htm

Thats what I was getting at, here in BC only Three CFC tournaments would meet your Criteria. Chess in BC isn't that large. We are lucky to get over 25 people in ANY event. We can't afford to lose any people playing... This is probably not the case for Torontonians where they seem to think that losing 2/3 casual players is OK, but here in BC the pool of players is far smaller and our tournament participation is FAR lower.

Comment

Thats what I was getting at, here in BC only Three CFC tournaments would meet your Criteria. Chess in BC isn't that large. We are lucky to get over 25 people in ANY event. We can't afford to lose any people playing... This is probably not the case for Torontonians where they seem to think that losing 2/3 casual players is OK, but here in BC the pool of players is far smaller and our tournament participation is FAR lower.
                        Hey Jason, not all Torontonians (nor Ottawans nor Ontarians) are the same! :)

Comment

1 - Keres open
                          - Victoria Chess Festival (which had two tournaments)
                          - Stephen's two tournies (January and March)
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                            - Victoria Chess Festival (which had two tournaments)
                            - Stephen's two tournies (January and March)

thats the victoria one I was thinking of :)

are the other two tournaments active or regular time controls?

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                              Hey Jason, not all Torontonians (nor Ottawans nor Ontarians) are the same! :)
                              lol I could have said 'those living in the center of the universe' :)

Comment

Working...
                              X