Rest day in Bonn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest day in Bonn

Today is the first rest day of the match. These will take place every 3rd day.

The first game was a quiet draw as you know. The opposite colour bishop ending seemed inevitable from early on. I was surprised that Kramnik would invest a White like this. He appears very confident, has a firm handshake. Anand seemed more nervous in the first game despite the absence of any real danger. Appearances can be deceiving. The 400 seat hall was about 80% full. Several games are sold out. The crowd offered strong applause after the game.

Anand pressed very hard in the second game. Both players dismissed pawn structure in favour of open lines. Kramnik sac’d a pawn for some play. Kramnik’s body language changed after Anand played Bb1 (around move 22) and one got the feeling that he was in some trouble. Then Anand started chewing up the clock. Anand’s pieces lacked co-ordination and he was using a lot of time to sort things out. Kramnik waited for the right moment to offer a draw, playing an active Rook move when Anand had just over 2 minutes to reach the first time control. (No increments are used until move 61.) Anand took a good look around and accepted the draw. Unlike the first game, the crowd offered up no applause at all. At the press conference afterwards both players agreed that White was objectively better but Anand was unhappy with his time and the road to victory was not clear.

Most of my work detail concerns security. Before each game the arbiters inspect the rest rooms and use metal detection wands on the players (maybe someday I can work at an airport) . We have 3 arbiters so that one arbiter will always remain on stage while each player is accompanied by an arbiter to their rest area back stage. Both have body guards and we must also keep them separated from the players during the game. Cameras are in each private room and the arbiter’s room has a monitor so we can observe each player with minimum obtrusiveness. I had Anand for the first 2 games – he left the stage a total of 3 times. Werner accompanied Kramnik some 30 times so far. Tomorrow it’s my turn.

The players are quite cordial with each other. They remained on stage for several minutes after each game discussing some moves. A press conference follows each game. At last count 150 accredited journalists are here. This number may be higher now.

The tension is unreal nonetheless. When a game is won we expect this to worsen. All eyes are on one match, unlike the World Cup, yet there seems to be more work to do here. Contrary to the organizers’ assurances, cell phones do work in the venue and yesterday we had phone ring during the game – allegedly the first time in four years.

We have been able to get out for dinner by 9pm each night. Oktoberfest is over in Bonn but there is beer. We have a decent gym at the hotel and have enjoyed several walks along the Rhine. Bonn is a beautiful city and the weather has been great.

Re: Rest day in Bonn

Thanks very much Hal for posting this interesting personal insight... Please consider telling us more as the match progresses!
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Team Kramnik must be looking hard at 4.f3 against the Nimzo.

Mark Bluvshtein has been playing this for many years but mostly his opponents have preferred 4..0-0. The first historic game with the line that I've found is from Bogolubow in 1931. Over the next decade Euwe, Keres and Landau all tried it. At Munich 1942 Bogo defended it twice. The line disappeared for another decade until a young Tal was caught by surprise and needed heroic defence to hold paired way down. He took it up and impressed Korchnoi who played it a half-dozen times.

After 4..d5 5.a3 Bxc3+ can be considered to transpose to a Saemisch Variation. Aside from exchanging the B/b4 there are three other options. 5..Be7 6.e4 dxe4 7.fxe4 e5 8.d5 can be chaotic, especially with Ivanchuk's crazy experiment 8..Ng4!? or Keres' 8..Bc5. But Bluvshtein-Kovalyov Montreal Empresa 2008 showed a draw by quieter blockading strategy. 5..Bd6!? was prepared by Stein for Gheorgui and also seems playable. Gheorghui loved 4.f3 and even beat Fischer at the Havana Olympiad. Also Black can prepare to have a5 as a retreat for the B/b4 by playing 4..c5 instead of 4..d5. Short also likes this plan.

I hope they play this line a lot because it makes an interesting imbalance between White's space edge and Black's time edge.

Comment

Hi Hal and lawrence,

Thanks for posting your observations!

BTW, Hal, a number of folks have said to me over the last year that Anand is interested in visiting Canada....perhaps after the match is over, you can ask him about this :)

Keep us informed!...and...gee what a cool gig you have :) Congrats again! You are awesome!!

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Working...
        X