A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

Grandmaster Wesley So, one of the best juniors in the World, joins the invitational section of the Quebec Open, among 8 other grandmasters. GM So is renowned for having defeated both Ivanchuk and Kamsky at the last World Cup.

For the full list of participants, please visit the FQE website :
    http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cms/story/...8-juillet-2012

Please note that the registration fees go up on July 1st!

http://echecsmontreal.ca/coq/english.html

Re: A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

Is he a permanent resident of Canada? I only heard that his parents moved to Canada.

In case of a positive answer, he would top the Canadian FIDE rating list with 2653.

Code:
    Top Fide Top Canadian 
    # Name Prov Rtg 
    1 Kovalyov, Anton  QC 2619 
    2 Bluvshtein, Mark ON 2590 
    3 Spraggett, Kevin ON 2588 
    4 Sambuev, Bator   QC 2536

Comment

Re : A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

Yes, he is a permanent resident of Canada. I don't know if it's in his plans to change federation though.

Comment

Re: Re : A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        Yes, he is a permanent resident of Canada. I don't know if it's in his plans to change federation though.
        What city is he staying in?

Norm

Comment

Re : Re: Re : A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
          What city is he staying in?

Norm
          I don't know. To be honest, the only thing I know is that he told me he was a permanent resident...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

I don't know. To be honest, the only thing I know is that he told me he was a permanent resident...
            He's staying in Toronto.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

I believe his mother resides in Scarborough ( now part of Toronto ).

Bob

Comment

Why don't you all stop being a bunch of suck ups to grandmasters and treat them like real humans...seriously?? Regardless of whatever federations they play for, they are in Canada.......

Comment

Hi Hikaru,

I have a tremendous amount of respect for you, so please don't take my reply the wrong way.

It's one thing for a world-class Grandmaster to call Canada home; it's quite another for him to represent Canada at world-class tournaments. I think a majority of Canadian chess players are looking for a defining leader who has a name that's known worldwide. With the exception of Jean Hebert, every other recent Canadian Champion has either abandonned chess, or abandonned Canada. We have a bad track record, so at least I'm hoping that a well-known player would be willing to change federations and bring Canada back to the days when Kevin Spraggett played in the 1988/89 World Championship cycle and made Canadian chess exciting.

Respectfully, Jordan
                  No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Hi Felix,

Can you tell me the schedule of the blitz tournament? A famous IM from Toronto informed me this afternoon that there will be one for sure.

I need to finalize my travel plans e.g. need to book my accommodation too.

And still need to familiarize with the subway of Montreal.

Comment

Re : A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

The blitz championship begins at 7 PM on July 28 (registration at 6 PM). There will be 7 double rounds.

Prize fund : $1 000 (400, 300, 200, 100)
                      Entry fee : $20

The highest rating will be used (FIDE, slow rating, blitz rating....).

Comment

The blitz will be July 28 - after the last round of the Quebec Open, It usually starts around 6 pm, and has had over 140 players in previous years:

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/winqblit.htm

Montreal subway/metro:

http://www.stm.info/English/metro/a-mapmet.htm

The Quebec Open site is 5-10 minutes walk from either Cote-des-Neiges or Universite-de-Montreal stations (blue line).

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                          Hi Felix,

Can you tell me the schedule of the blitz tournament? A famous IM from Toronto informed me this afternoon that there will be one for sure.
                          Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                          Hi Felix,
                          I am exploring the possibility of bolstering the list of players of your invitational section with a young super GM with a FIDE rating of 2653, who is currently playing in the French Top 12 .

Can your organization still has the room to invite this player i am referring to?
                          Erwin is so ambiguous with his introduction of these "top players" he seems have connections with lmao :D

Comment

Re: Re : A new favorite for the Quebec Open : GM Wesley So!

The blitz championship begins at 7 PM on July 28 (registration at 6 PM). There will be 7 double rounds.

Prize fund : $1 000 (400, 300, 200, 100)
                            Entry fee : $20

The highest rating will be used (FIDE, slow rating, blitz rating....).
                            @Felix, thanks for the info on the blitz.

About the mini tournament - COQ? It looks like the rounds are in conflict with the first 2 days of the main tournament. I initially thought,...aahhh it would be good to practice here before the main tournament - but the timings is not good.

@ Hugh, thanks for the transport link. It helped me understand my orientation in Montreal.

@ Aman, sometimes things are better left for the imagination. I wish you play in the Quebec Open so you get your IM/GM norms.

Comment

The "Mini-COQ" is a 4-round event (2 games Saturday, 2 games Sunday the first weekend of the Quebec Open). You can carry forward your scores from rounds 1, 3, and 4 to the regular Quebec Open (starting with round 4) by paying an additional entry fee (not sure if it's the full entry fee, or whether the $30 Mini entry fee is credited).

Technically - it's a separate (one-section) event with its own prize fund ($300, $200, $100) - with the above-described options.

Comment

Working...
                              X