Canadian Closed events - 88 games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Closed events - 88 games

I have managed to find 88 games from both the ladies' and the gentlemen's events. I'll pass by the event Wednesday night and try to get all the unentered scoresheets.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/cbv/20...012_can_ch.cbv
    http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/cbv/20...012_can_ch.pgn

Unfortunately - one of the ladies withdrew after 4 rounds (forfeiting the first round - apparently underestimating the driving time from Toronto to Montreal), meaning that most of the others are denied norm chances (9 games are needed in most cases). Another reason to require a refundable deposit for round-robin events.

Re: Canadian Closed events - 88 games

There are two Wang-Hamilton games. Use the 88-move one - the other is incomplete.

Comment

Canadian Women's Closed

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Unfortunately - one of the ladies withdrew after 4 rounds (forfeiting the first round - apparently underestimating the driving time from Toronto to Montreal), meaning that most of the others are denied norm chances (9 games are needed in most cases). Another reason to require a refundable deposit for round-robin events.
      I think Hal will have to get an interpretation on this, but I would be pretty sure that the WIM title is still available to the top player scoring 6 (ie 6/8) or more points (although I'm not sure if actual games played against the withdrawn player would count for that ....). Also the two WFM titles for 4.5 or better. Just makes it that much harder....

Comment

Re: Canadian Women's Closed

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        I think Hal will have to get an interpretation on this, but I would be pretty sure that the WIM title is still available to the top player scoring 6 (ie 6/8) or more points (although I'm not sure if actual games played against the withdrawn player would count for that ....). Also the two WFM titles for 4.5 or better. Just makes it that much harder....
        From FIDE handbook

Zonals and Sub-Zonals See Note b to e.
        1st, up to 3 players = title.
        ≥ 9 games ≥ 66 2/3% = title
        ≥ 9 games WIM
        Performance counts as 13 games.

(b) Wherea zonal/subzonal is played with preliminaries and finals, the results shall be pooled.
        (c) Subzonals must be approved by the Presidential Board.
        (d) For zonals/subzonals only one IM/WIM title can be obtained based on a result ≥66 2/3 percent, only two FM/WFM titles can be obtained based on a result ≥50 percent.
        (e) The result must be achieved in consecutive games starting from the first game the player plays in the tournament. If a player achieves ≥ 6 points (3½ points for CM/WCM), the title is awarded, even if the player does not play 9 games (7 games for CM/WCM) . These titles shall be awarded retrospectively.

If you look at the standings Myriam Roy and Chang Yun have already played with Natasa Serbanescu so they'll have 9 games. All they need is a 6 points performance for WIM title (one title only) or 4.5 for WFM (title)
        For the other players things are a little bit complicated because of the 7 consecutive games rule.
        Last edited by Rene Preotu; Wednesday, 8th August, 2012, 02:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Re: Canadian Women's Closed

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
          If you look at the standings Myriam Roy and Chang Yun have already played with Natasa Serbanescu so they'll have 9 games. All they need is a 6 points performance for WIM title (one title only) or 4.5 for WFM (title)
          For the other players things are a little bit complicated because of the 7 consecutive games rule.
          There's also a rule where if a player withdraws having not played more than 50% of their games in a RR it counts as if they had not been there at all. Rule C.06.12. I'm not sure how that specifically affects rating and/or titles though.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: Canadian Closed events - 88 games

I don't think the consecutive games are affected by a bye - it's actual games played over the board.

Yes, the tournament placings are now based on 8 games. Logically, the highest placing person in the tournament will receive the WIM title, so long as they have 6 points out of 8.

Now what would be tricky is if nobody has 6 out of 8, but Miriam had 5 or 5.5 out of 8 and 1 out of 1 (having played the withdrawn player)....

Comment

Working...
            X