Frank Dixon, why haven't you sent me my book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Dixon, why haven't you sent me my book?

Dixon, on July 30, 2007, you posted a chess trivia contest on ChessTalk. The questions were as follows:

1) Who is the highest-rated player to be paired UP in the first round of any Canadian Open during the past 12 years (including 1996-2007)?
    2) What was that player's rating at that time?
    3) Who did that paired-up player face?
    4) Which Canadian Open did this occur at?
    5) How did the paired-up player do in the game?

You stated that the first person to send you the correct answers by email would receive a prize: a book of his choice from the CFC store.

I sent you the correct answers. You informed me of this, and asked me what book I would like. You said that another person had sent in his solution just after me, and you would award him a prize as well, but would wait to post it until after we both told you what books we selected. I selected Chess Bitch by Jennifer Shahade. It had a nice pink cover.

A week went by and you did not make another post about the matter on ChessTalk. I posted an inquiry in response to your initial post. Other people queried, as well, as they evidently were curious about the results, but you responded to no one. I sent you an email; you did not respond.

Several months ago, I posted in one of your threads on ChessTalk, asking you why you had never sent me the book. Other posters stated that it was irresonspible and dishonest on your part to not send me the book after having said that you would. You then responded saying that you had merely forgot, and that you would send me the book right away. I thanked you and assumed you would.

I did not receive the book. A few months later, on the OCC website, I asked you about the book again. You did not respond to my post.

So, Dixon, did you ever intend on sending me the book, or did you simply wish to give the illusion that you were running and offering a prize for a contest? Was your attempt to trick the public into thinking that you were contributing more to the Canadian chess scene than you actually were?

Certainly, you have an obligation to send me my God damn book.
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Re: Frank Dixon, why haven't you sent me my book?

Is there no justice in this world?!

Comment

I've been meaning to pick that book up. Looks like a good read.

Comment

Hi Jason:

Maybe you could lend it to Ben when you've finished. Looks like he isn't going to get it!

Bob

Comment

I have it. It was a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Jason:

Maybe you could lend it to Ben when you've finished. Looks like he isn't going to get it!

Bob
            Hi Bob,

Ben hasn't indicated if he wants to read the book or if he enjoys the fun he's getting from trying to collect.

Years ago there was a guy I put in a CC event before I got the money. No problem because some players used to send in the money as they got it.

In this case, the guy dropped out of the event and didn't pay the 5 dollar entry fee.

There was a real loss here because so much went to the prize fund and the rest to administration. The administration covered mailing the assignment and the postage and envelopes for correspondence pertaining to the event, such as complaints and questions. I think the amount which went to the prize fund at the time was around half or slightly more.

Once or twice a year I sent the guy a bill, and this went on for years.

The guy lived with his parents. Someone told me he had moved. So I sent another bill and a letter and simply addressed it to Mr. X without using his given name. I used his old address. Payment came.

I had more than 5 bucks worth of fun collect that.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
              Is there no justice in this world?!
              I will get my book.
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Ben hasn't indicated if he wants to read the book or if he enjoys the fun he's getting from trying to collect.
                It's pink. I like pink things. For example, I own a pink hoodie. For several weeks, I spun tales of how I was going to purchase a pink hoodie. People laughed off the notion. They thought I was bluffing. They called me a liar, a scalawag, a no-good beatnik. Then Boxing Day rolled around and I purchased a pink hoodie. Who'd have thunk it?! I'd have thunk it. I did think it. Next time, you should trust me when I say I'm going to purchase a pink hoodie.

Comment

Got a black coat. It's pretty slick. I wear it while watching movies in a theatre.

Comment

Have you heard from that pribbling, bat-fowling, maggot-pie yet?
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                      It's pink. I like pink things. For example, I own a pink hoodie. For several weeks, I spun tales of how I was going to purchase a pink hoodie. People laughed off the notion. They thought I was bluffing. They called me a liar, a scalawag, a no-good beatnik. Then Boxing Day rolled around and I purchased a pink hoodie. Who'd have thunk it?! I'd have thunk it. I did think it. Next time, you should trust me when I say I'm going to purchase a pink hoodie.
                      Pink is nice.

You've probably read about my dog Beware. I keep Beware because it earns it's premium non-allergenic kibble. I also have another dog. A Bichon Frise. It's one of the those cute little doggies that my visitors like to get close and cuddly with. Of course, Poopsie, (that's the dog's name) really sucks it up.

Poopsie is snow white. The thing is I've seen pink Poodles and I want Poopsie to be Pink. In a few weeks when the weather gets a bit warmer I'm going to take the little fur ball (Poopsie) in for a grooming. I'll ask the groomer to make Poopsie pink. The thing is I'll have to keep Poopsie indoor when it rains. Otherwise the dog will run.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I had three dogs.

The first one I named "Tax" - everytime I opened the door - in come Tax.

The second one I named "Hickory" - he had a rough bark.

The third one I named "Street Vendor" - he did his business on the sidewalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                          I had three dogs.

The first one I named "Tax" - everytime I opened the door - in come Tax.

The second one I named "Hickory" - he had a rough bark.

The third one I named "Street Vendor" - he did his business on the sidewalk.
                          Probably you think I'm joking. :)

Do you recall the late newspaper columnist, Paul Rimstead?

He had a horse named Annabelle. This horse had decent bloodline but had never won a race. A maiden she was. The Rimmer decided Annabelle should be given a chance to run with other thoroughbred horses and entered her in the Kentucky Derby. The odd were 5,000 - 1. Unfortunately, Annabelle sustained an injury prior to the Derby, in a workout, and didn't run. The injury ended the horse's career in racing but the Rimmer kept her. I think they changed the rules for the Kentucky Derby as a result to stop this from happening again.

Over the years she had 2 offspring. The Rimmer named them In come tacks and Marital Problem. I think it had to do with some problems he was having as each one came along.

I used to like reading his columns.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

and how is all this horsetalk.com and dogtalk.com posting helping Ben get his book?

Comment

maybe Ben might think about getting a book on pets instead?

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X