OCA AGM May 23 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OCA AGM May 23 2009

Yes but you had more than enough pre-warning to get those sets and clocks back whether you called the police right from the beginning.

It was a disgrace that those clocks and sets were not there when you posted in previous posts that they would be there.

I have no sympathy on that call. That is why I avoided talking to you at the Ontario Open. I felt wasting my breath on you was like spilling a beer. It is a
    big no no.

Aris ran a Great Tournament with only one pairing flaw.

The OCA let us down on this event and lowered the status of the Ontario Open.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Most interesting thing:"<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 12">"

Or the content was regenerated? :)
      Thusly???

<META content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0" name=GENERATOR>

That's even better.

Anyway, it looks OK in Opera 9.64.

Well, "OK" is a relative thing. Something that bugs me about the OCA site (and about the old CFC site before it) is the inclusion of images of random people on the masthead. I suppose the message they're trying to get across is: "Chess is for folks, just like you and me. Look! We're not nerds." But to me it is reminiscent of the JW publication "Awake!" with its cookie-cutter people, cookie-cutter families, cookie-cutter trees, cookie-cutter lions and lambs, cookie-cutter prophets ... The OCA site, having been designed after the CFC site, has taken the theme further with even more people-images in the masthead. What's worse, about half the OCA-people have interestingly-formed craniums, so I'm tempted to stare at them. Which isn't polite.

OK, I know it's far more important to have content that isn't three years out of date, but, there, that complaint won't fester any more.

Your uncle Fester.

Comment

" Oh. My. You're right. The Ontario Open simply sucked because we had to bring and use our own sets ... and I'm the most terrible person in the world because it was apparently all my fault that the tournament sucked so much. :( "

Did I get that right? And were we at the same event? Because it seemed to me like everyone else was having fun, and I heard several people getting into long discussions about how interesting various chess sets were, so they obviously weren't totally crushed to not all be using the OCA sets.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          Just because it's popular doesn't mean it gets to write the rules. And in any case I believe I saw somewhere that the newest version of IE (8?) is actually fully compliant. I only have IE7 installed so I don't know.
          IE8 is compliant, but IE6 and 7 are not, and there are so many people still using them (alas) that web writers cannot really afford to ignore them.

However the fixes are well known and documented so that one should write for the compliant browsers and then make the few well known patches to get IE6 working.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why the OCA needs a bunch of sets and clocks? Sounds like a recipe for theft and/or damage.

Most people don't treat the property of others nearly as well as they treat their own property.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              Can someone explain to me why the OCA needs a bunch of sets and clocks? Sounds like a recipe for theft and/or damage.

Most people don't treat the property of others nearly as well as they treat their own property.
              As I understand things, the OCA purchased the sets/boards and clocks under Barry's tenure. I am not sure whether some of that money came from the Trillium Grant (since I have never seen any accounting of the Trillium money - proper or otherwise).

In any case, after the AGM last June in Brampton, the sets/clocks/boards were split between Chris Mallon, myself and (I think) Michael Barron. Since that time, my portion (about 40 or so sets and boards) were given to the V.P. (Brett Campbell) to use in a GTCL event (and would then remain with GTCL as far as I know). Chris had most - if not all - of the clocks.

What has happened since is not known (to me).

So, the OCA *is* the owner of a number of very good sets (with spare Queens etc) - weighted and felted; a number of vinyl rollup boards with the OCA name on them, and a number of digital clocks.

I can vouch for the weight of 40 sets of pieces and the roll-up boards! I presume there might be as many as 60 sets or more altogether. Schlepping them around the province is probably not something that was considered when the lot was purchased, but I presume the idea was that there would be a supply of sets/boards/clocks available for major events.

Over time, sets will likely be pilfered, lost, stolen, misplaced or whatever. Clocks are presumably signed out/in and tracked very closely (God I hope so). Whether the value is worth the hassle is another story... having moved 40 sets around a few times, I would now oppose such a motion! (if there ever was a "motion")

One good thing about having such a resource: the equipment is good, consistent and presumed to be maintained and working well... that lessens the chance of someone showing up at the Ontario Open with a Civil War Chess Set and expecting to play a GM with it... (come to think of it, I might actually pay $5 to watch that, but I digress)
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

(time for bed - my all-in flush just lost out to a full house on the river :-( Enough poker for tonight.)
                That sounds expensive.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

So who became the executive this time?

Comment

Any news after OCA AGM on May, 23-rd 2009?
                    :(

Comment

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...8&postcount=10
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I only spectated for about 10 minutes at the OCA annual meeting (because I was too busy) but it was nice to see some old faces from across Ontario (and newer faces too!) Terry and John from Windsor, Eric from Ottawa, Brett and Ted from T.O., Hal from Guelph, Bob from Mississauga, I think the rest local and it definitely was a long meeting (more than 4 hrs?) so much was discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          That sounds expensive.
                          Pick up's free, mom.
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                          X