Canadian Open 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open 2015

Is there any information on the web about the next Canadian Open? A German grandmaster would like to register, but cannot find anything.

Re: Canadian Open 2015

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
    Is there any information on the web about the next Canadian Open? A German grandmaster would like to register, but cannot find anything.
    There is but not what you want to show to your friend.

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ll=1#post88889
    Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Right now it looks like the Canadian Open will be shifted to mid August this year but that is still under discussion.

Comment

Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      There is but not what you want to show to your friend.

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ll=1#post88889
      OK, please let me know if I understand well. There might be a Canadian Open in 2015, but nobody knows yet when or where it will be held.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015

OK, please let me know if I understand well. There might be a Canadian Open in 2015, but nobody knows yet when or where it will be held.
        Louis,
        You work for the FQE and have daily access to its Directeur-général, Richard Bérubé.
        Are you telling us that the FQE, which is now heavily financing the CFC for very little in return (not even representation in terms of CFC Governer), is currently not even being informed of such things that have a direct impact on the FQE tournament agenda for next summer ? How pleasant for our organizers and the players.
        What a great example of improved cooperation and efficiency...

Comment

Re: Canadian Open 2015

....and two of the three Quebec "governors" didn't even bother to vote in the October online CFC meeting.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            Louis,
            You work for the FQE and have daily access to its Directeur-général, Richard Bérubé. Are you telling us that the FQE, is currently not even being informed of such things that have a direct impact on the FQE tournament agenda for next summer ?
            At this time, nobody seems to know if, when and where the Canadian Open will take place. But since the Quebec Open Championship is already scheduled from July 18 to July 25, one cannot really say that the Canadian Open has a direct impact on the FQE tournament agenda for next summer.

I asked this question on Chesstalk only because some players are beginning to contact the FQE (as the last Canadian Open organizer) to know how they can register, and I would like to be able to give them a definite answer.

Comment

I think you're correct, Louis. But please don't bother the CFC President about it. He's busy doing really important stuff, like arguing with Paul Bonham and Sid Belzberg and denying climate change. :)
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I expect a time and place for the Canadian Open will be announced by the end of the month, probably sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                  I expect a time and place for the Canadian Open will be announced by the end of the month, probably sooner.
                  Any news?

Canadian Closed as well - any news?

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                    I think you're correct, Louis. But please don't bother the CFC President about it. He's busy doing really important stuff, like arguing with Paul Bonham and Sid Belzberg and denying climate change. :)
                    Yes, I do understand that important stuff must be addressed first... but sooner or later lesser stuff like Canadian Open should also be fixed... so that people will stop emailing me at the FQE to know when and where it is held.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open 2015

Meanwhile in America, they are in the midst of planning the 2017 USA Open. The 2016 USA Open already has dates and information. Forget the 2015 USA Open, that location and information about the tournament has already been known for two years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                        Meanwhile in America, they are in the midst of planning the 2017 USA Open. The 2016 USA Open already has dates and information. Forget the 2015 USA Open, that location and information about the tournament has already been known for two years now.
                        What is obvious I think, is that there is a real fertile opening for chess organizers in Canada, and we have way too few to handle the opportunities (compared to the USA, which, one has to admit, has a somewhat greater chess population than Canada, and hence more chess organizers; and their numbers registering are much higher than in Canada, making organizing there a much more profitable capitalist business than in Canada).

As well, in Canada, I think there is a significant number of chess players who have trouble getting their head around organizers making money from their efforts....some think these organizers should just be altruistic towards the rest of the Canadian chess population, and volunteer to organize for free. Not sure USA players think this way (consider Bill Goichberg).

Bob A
                        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 9th December, 2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

We will have to discuss this fertile opening for chess organizers. Seems to me hardly anyone is interested. The general response I've seen is that it's too much work for too little reward. We even seem to have trouble getting people to organize tournaments with a $10k carrot dangling in front of them.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't organise the Canadian Open for $10,000. $50,000 maybe. On the other hand, I organise all kinds of kids' events for basically nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                              We will have to discuss this fertile opening for chess organizers. Seems to me hardly anyone is interested.
                              I doubt anyone can organize and direct a national event or FIDE event. I thought there was a program for tournament directors and organizers.

I don't know how long it takes to go through those programs.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X