Jorden Van Foreest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jorden Van Foreest

Given Jorden has perhaps (with that k=40 factor!) moved up from #10 to #2 on Vlad's list of the top U16 Juniors in the world with his perfect 4/4 at Basel 2015, I think he deserves his own thread. This also allows me to link to his website.

http://jorden.vanforeest.com/index.html

There are some fascinating links therein with some great old pix of his Dutch Chess Champion ancestry. Both his great-grandfather, Arnold, and Arnold's brother, Dirk, were three times Dutch Champions.

I also note that his coach is Sergey Tiviakov. But Jorden doesn't seemingly play the Scandinavian ):

I can also add that his younger sister, Machteld (Matilda), is carrying on the great Van Foreest chess tradition.

http://www.vanforeest.com/machteld/index.html

Re: Jorden Van Foreest

For my games at ICCF, K=10.

I think the FIDE formula with k=40 is extreme. It's not good for the rating system, in my view.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Tiviakov gave a two-week training camp in Budapest in November. It was very intense 6-hours per day.

He does not teach openings unless specifically requested. He also does not give out opening files or teach endings(!) He insists that endings can be learned independently by diligent students. He teaches generally chess strategy suitable for any level(his words I paraphrase) teaches from PDF files of old Russian books and games of former champions. He passes on a wealth of knowledge on the general conduct of a game during a tournament.

I think bringing in Tiviakov to Canada for an training camp would be a real-eye opening experience learning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
        Tiviakov gave a two-week training camp in Budapest in November. It was very intense 6-hours per day.

He does not teach openings unless specifically requested. He also does not give out opening files or teach endings(!) He insists that endings can be learned independently by diligent students. He teaches generally chess strategy suitable for any level(his words I paraphrase) teaches from PDF files of old Russian books and games of former champions. He passes on a wealth of knowledge on the general conduct of a game during a tournament.

I think bringing in Tiviakov to Canada for an training camp would be a real-eye opening experience learning experience.
        Sounds fascinating, Michael. I'm sure both my boys will be interested!

Comment

I was very lucky to be invited to the camp. It was very educational but I cannot describe as a 'fun' time.

There were two 3-hr sessions with a lunch break. There were no other breaks; no ice-breakers, small talk or social chatting. I prepared by studying for a month before the camp so I could keep up with my group. I was the lowest by far. There were 3-4 2300 players I was in with. Basically I kept my mouth shut and tried to absorb as much as I could. It was very exhausting each day and there was one break day.

He told us how he learned and what is coach was like when he was a junior. I forgot his name but he also coached Kramnik and Tkakaev amongst others. He recommended various books for self-study and one of them was Chernev's book on Capablanca's best endings.

Comment

Jorden had Naiditsch on the ropes but couldn't quite finished him off and they played to bare Kings in a 73 move draw. Today is a double round day and Jorden now has Black against Venezuela's Eduardo Iturrizaga Bonelli (2649/2700/2720).

Comment

Jorden is one of 4 players in joint 1st with 4/5 at Aeroflot but is the 10/1 dog playing Black against Nepo tomorrow on board one. Nepo is the prohibitive 4/9 favourite with 51/20 draw odds. Then again, Jorden was at tantamount odds earlier today in his match against Sasikiran (also now at 4/5) and was also playing Black and managed a draw. Amusingly, a draw against Nepo (2714) would lower Jorden's Aeroflot TPR of 2835 (:

Comment

Working...
              X