Proposal for Rule Change (CYCC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal for Rule Change (CYCC)

I've been thinking about this for a while now and think this would be a good place to post it. I believe that there should be a rule change regarding participation at WYCC(World Youth Chess Championships). As it is right now, the top 3 in each section can qualify to go. However, in terms of FIDE rules, anyone from a country can attend as long as it is done through the National Federation. I think with certain rating requirements and yearly activity requirements, anyone should be able to attend WYCC. WYCC is one of the best opportunities for improvement and international experience that a youth player can have, and Canada should take advantage of this great chance for youth development. Canada is not a serious contender, so it won't harm us at all. Another overlooked factor is that WYCC is one of the most enjoyable trips that a kid can go on, and will certainly go a long way in retaining youth players into adulthood and motivating them to take their game to the next level. Now there is one more thing, and that is who gets the 1st place money. CYCC should still be the tournament to crown the country's best and who receives first place money, as you wouldn't want to diminish the reasons for competing. Please feel free to add any suggestions/comments.
    Last edited by Eric Hansen; Monday, 27th April, 2009, 11:18 PM.

Re: Proposal for Rule Change (CYCC)

I think that this is a very good idea. In the US, there is no qualification tournament for the World's. CYCC is a good idea though to determine the top three finishers in each section, but ratings must be taken into account as well. I propose that the top ten players in each category be allowed to attend WYCC as long as they have remained active over the past year.

Comment

... and here we go again.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I don't see why this wouldn't work. IMO the wycc is an interesting experience and as long as the players are willing to pay they should be given the chance.

It wouldn't affect the cycc in anyway as the participants are still playing for first place and a free trip.

Comment

Hi Eric:

It has been my experience that if you want a change in CFC policy, you must file a motion ( or if not a governor, get governors to file/second your motion ). The executive seldom, if ever, will pick up a ball lobbed this way, and run with it for you. Nor will governors usually come forward to volunteer to carry the matter forward by motion.

Your idea seems to have merit - but I think you'll likely have to do the work, to get a change in CFC policy. You definitely should privately confer with Ellen on her opinion, and how you might go about this.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob:

I understand this and have already talked to a couple governors. I just want to see if anyone has some improvements or constructive criticism on this before I try to get it passed.

Comment

This seems like a very reasonable possibility.
              i rep back 3+

Comment

Hi Eric:

Great - go for it.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  ... and here we go again.
                  Hi Chris,

So a member has an idea, and you just throw your hands up in the air? You certainly are executive material!

Comment

No wonder the CFC is corrupt, and is losing money constantly.
                    i rep back 3+

Comment

Hi Tony:

I agree fully - the executive should be trying to figure out how they can help Eric to bring his motion ( assuming they do agree with his proposal ), not dumping on him.

Bob

Comment

Well, I don't think the executive agree with this idea. They believe it will somehow hurt attendance at the CYCC and they don't even want to discuss it. I think there stance is "A rule is a rule", or something like that.

Comment

The idea was discussed on this board. Eric, may you look for it?

Comment

Hi Egis:

I must admit I don't remember the thread on Eric's issue. Do you have any further info to help him out? - possible date the thread started?

Bob

Comment

Why I believe will not work...

Hi Eric,

Some time ago it was just top 3 who can go to WYCC. Patrick motion to change that from top 3 to "tied for 3rd" increased the number. Couple years ago I suggested to take up to 5th place, but nobody wanted to put a motion for this. Bruce Harper motion to have the highest rated accepted for WYCC with out participation in CYCC was also passed.
                              Admitting top 10 by rating, it will hurt CYCC numbers, that will make impossible for CFC to contribute to much for WYCC trip to the winners. So maybe the motion suppose to change the number of the qualifying spots.
                              Andrei
                              ________
                              Ship Sale
                              Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X