Worth the High?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth the High?

I had warned Pierre that it was dangerous, more addictive than crack, but he insisted on trying it. He had heard some things and was curious. How can you dissuade a 56 year old man? So I asked my brother to keep an eye on things. Nothing happened for a few weeks, and then the call came…

“We have a problem,” my brother stated. “Yeah,” I was expecting this. “Pierre and I both have a King and a Knight and we’ve been bouncing around for twenty minutes or more. Does anyone have the advantage? He thinks he can mate me.”

There it goes. It all starts with some horse in the center of the board. Next you’re into lines and diagonals…

I explain the situation and ask if I should speak with Pierre. “That okay,” my brother states, “We have you on speaker phone. It’s a draw.”

Later that evening, I set up the unforced mate and work back a move from both sides, noting the 9 different variations, symmetry aside. I feel slightly euphoric and am tempted to work out the 2 move variations; but – including king moves – there may be hundreds of them…

Re: Worth the High?

Love the misdirect in the first paragraph. Have you been published, John? Poetry or prose?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Re: Worth the High?

Mr. McKillop,
      The answer is yes, but I am being serious, and am not the first to state that chess is dangerously addictive. Consider Blackburne’s admonitions after his win in a match game against Bardeleben: that chess has a “fatal attraction” and is a “kind of mental alcohol”. The difference being that I use this line as a selling point.
      Coincidently, the Bardeleben - Blackburne – game shows a nice win of the good knight over the bad bishop; sort of like the game Zinterl –McKillop ‘06.
      Now tell me – this is a “Are you really addicted?” type of question – have you verified the number of unforced mating variation in K+N vs. K+N just to satisfy a curiosity that what I said was true?
      P.S. If you are in Ontario, you live closer to my brother and Pierre than I do. Should I give them your number to call?
      Last edited by John Torrie; Saturday, 14th January, 2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X