Edmonton's bid: Canadian Open 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton's bid: Canadian Open 2009

Of course, I really hope that Edmonton wins the bid over any (rumoured) bid from Toronto. We're working hard already to create a memorable Canadian Open.

Some may remember that Edmonton hosted the 2005 Canadian Open, and brought GM's Ivanchuk and Shirov, as well as many top Canadian players (GM Bluvshtein even beat Shirov in a spectacular game.)

As chairman of the 2009 Canadian Open Organizing Committee for Edmonton, I can say that we intend to replicate the 2005 tournament in most details, including the venue.

We fully intend to get some of the top GM's in the world to this Canadian Open. Ivanchuk, Shirov and Carlsen top my personal list. We would also like to get all of the top Canadian players.

Two of the main organizers of the 2005 tournament are back for the 2009 version (myself and Vlad Rekhson), and we have already raised a budget of $90,000 (25% more than in 2005).

To any governors reading this, please consider voting for Edmonton 2009 at the CFC's Annual General Meeting.

I will be there at the meeting to present our bid in detail.

While you're at it, check out the GM and IM norm opportunities available in Edmonton less than three weeks from now: http://www.ecf2008.com

Re: Edmonton's bid: Canadian Open 2009

Will you also be bidding for the 2009 CYCC?

Gary Gladstone

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Gladstone View Post
      Will you also be bidding for the 2009 CYCC?

Gary Gladstone
      No, that is not part of our bid.

Comment

Nothing against Edmonton, but I rather hope Toronto wins the bid, because then it will be easier for a poor student studying in Southern Ontario (such as myself) to attend the 2009 CO. That is, however, the only reason, and I know that Edmonton will do a great job if they win the bid.

Comment

Although from a personal standpoint I agree with you Luke, the problem is, this year has been the 2nd year in a row it has been within driving distance of Toronto... as far as I know, even if you go back 6-8 years its been in this area very often. I don't believe the West has hosted the CO recently, other than in 2005.

On another note, the 2005 Canadian Open was one of the best events I have ever played. Nice tournament book too =]. Good luck with your bid.

Comment

The Canadian Open will be in Edmonton (the vote was 28-0 with no abstentions).

It looks like the CYCC will be in Victoria, B.C.

Comment

Working...
            X