Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hébert parle échecs - Latest Issue

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    Last year when the CFC was pondering on restructuring and looking for something to replace the paper magazine and reach its membership, that is more or less what I suggested the CFC should do (a monthly or even twice a month newsletter with both english and french content), and what I offered to do. Instead they chose the cheaper (?) webzine solution which as far as I can tell is a complete disaster.
    A bilingual HPE would be the best tools for Chess Tournament in Ontario to get in touch with Quebec customers. The same would apply for Quebec tournaments. Would Ontario tournament agree to pay a publicity of 100$ to bring a few more Quebec players? Can any organizers from Ontario tell me? If we have a simple yes here from an organizer HPE could become bilingual in a flash.

For Quebec I know that Montreal Organizers already pay for HPE publicity of tournament. Having the english would only make them even more willing to pay.

Carl

Comment

Re: Hébert parle échecs - Latest Issue

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
      I think that the best return or value for a membership from any organization is either a choice of an online newsletter or a paper magazine aside from ratings. CFC should have given a choice to members whether they wanted to receive information from either one of the two choices.
      I used to like paper chess magazines and I still do. However times have changed. Today if you want to be competitive you (the chess organisations) must take care of your (their) customers practically on a daily basis because of internet. A paper magazine issued every second month probably never was quite enough, but now it is clearly obsolete. You must reach your clientele (and your potential clientele) much more often with quality stuff if you want to keep it. That is where an e-zine comes in nicely. It does not need to be 50 pages long, it needs to be good and sent often!

For the canadian language situation it would be ideal. English and french could co-exist peacefully (well, at least it stands a good chance) because for an e-zine, space is no problem! The extra pages in one language takes nothing away from the other. This, in my opinion, would give the CFC a chance to become a truly "national" organisation. But, like it has been the case in the past, such opportunities are never seriously considered because there is no will or sufficient interest in becoming "a truly national organisation".
      My guess is that sooner or later the e-zine way will be adopted by both the CFC and the FQE. But separately.

Comment

Working...
      X