Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Great chess quotes

Thread: Great chess quotes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Maple Bay, B.C.
    Default Never miss a chance to insult someone

GM N. Short: "Congratulations to Fabiano Caruana on the first victory in the Berlin Candidates. The Lord deserted Wesley So today. Apparently, he didn't pray fervently enough."

GM Wesley So is a devout Christian who prays before every match. See the article linked to below for more info.

Grandmaster under fire after mocking chess player's prayer

update: GM Short posted on GM Susan Polgar's Facebook page and, surprise surprise, stirred up a hornet's nest. I follow Polgar's F/b page, and found myself in an exchange of pleasantries with him. To be completely fair to GM Short, I had no idea that "So" many people make fun of his name and borrow the expression used by Kasparov in new and (lol) creative ways. [I have to confess I did the same here on CT when I remarked that in Kirsan's litigation "the defendant would be Short and his face would be long".]

I'm happy to report that I've now been insulted by one of the best chess players.
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; March 13th, 2018 at 03:14 PM.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.