X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Telegraph Magnus Carlsen Feature

The Telegraph Magnus Carlsen Feature

November 27, 2015

With the London Chess Classic starting on Friday, December 4, The Telegraph has done a Carlsen profile, written by Nigel Farndale.

See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-f...magnus-carlse/

Some highlights:

1) His sisters are students now, one studying medicine, another dance, the third computer engineering. Magnus decided not to go to university, against his parents’ wishes.

2) I notice a sleek new Tesla sports car in the garage. ‘Not mine, sadly,’ Henrik says. ‘It’s Magnus’s company car. Now all he has to do is get round to taking a driving test.’

3) He does admit that he has his eye on Wei Yi, a 16-year-old Chinese player currently ranked number 25 in the world, who might one day take his crown.

4) But if he could play anyone in history, who would it be? ‘I think the top ones would be Fischer and Capablanca, maybe Mikhail Tal, but I think I would beat Tal pretty easily. Fischer would be more difficult, but I think I could beat him too.’

5) Football is his biggest passion away from the chessboard and he is a dedicated fan of Real Madrid (last year he took the honorary kick-off before the team’s match against Celta Vigo)
Working...
X