X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boris Gelfand

Boris Gelfand

January 5, 2016

Boris has given a long interview on the aging grandmaster and his chess in 2015, the state of chess in Israel and many other interesting topics. It can be found at:

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/gel...-pragmatically

Boris found other things to occupy himself with while not playing chess in 2015, though. He coached the Norwegian national team before the European Team Championship, taking a recently published book as the basis for his instruction. He talked about it in an interview with the Russian Chess Federation:

You recently published a new book in English. Could you tell us a little about it?

The book was written together with Jacob Aagard for the publisher Quality Chess. I dictated and Jacob wrote. It's a serious work, since Aagard, as an experienced coach, lends the books educational value. During working on it we checked and fine-tuned a lot of things.

Is it a "Selected Games"?

No, as Anton Korobov said, it's like Eckermann's Conversations with Goethe (laughs). Anton was having some fun. The book is called Positional Decision Making in Chess, with the topics "Space Advantage", "Transformation of Advantages", "The Squeeze" and "Transformation of Pawn Structures". It has a lot not only of my games, but of games by, for instance, Rubinstein. I learned from his games and the book by Yuri Razuvaev, so we tried to draw analogies. Our book won the English Chess Federation's "Book of the Year" award.

The second volume is already a work in progress. Its theme will be taking decisions in dynamic play.
Working...
X