X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating at the Delhi Under 1600

Cheating at the Delhi Under 1600

May 25, 2016

One hears of cheating but not the details of how the moves are transmitted to the computer and so forth.

There is an article in ChessBase today by Nitin Pai:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/cheatin...lhi-under-1600

which shows the apparatus and describes the procedure:

“By the time the final round came by, Shrang Rajendra, who was on 7.5/8, and playing his final round game on the top board, had attracted the special interest of organisers. Deputy chief arbiter Biju Raj S. was told to keep a close watch, with Verma and Gopakumar standing nearby. Shrang was pitted against Y. Suman of Andhra Pradesh with the black pieces, and he eventually won the game. The arbiters decided to frisk the players immediately after they finished.

The arbiters found the mobile phone (shown in the photo above) in Rajendra’s pocket, a hidden spy device and a power bank stitched to a special inner wear inside his trouser. A micro earpiece was hidden inside his right ear.

In his statement, Shrang Rajendra explained that a phone connection was maintained throughout the duration of the game. Immediately after his opponent made a move he would press any button of the mobile which will indicate the move is made on board, and his accomplice would recite all the possible moves available for his opponent. When hearing the correct move Shrang would a press a button again to acknowledge the same and the accomplice would communicate the best move possible for him after consulting a chess engine.

The DCA team confiscated all the material evidence and the same has forwarded to All India Chess Federation along with a report for further necessary action with FIDE.

One has to wonder how easy it is to cheat in these tournaments. On every stroll I took to the restroom during my games, I could see scores of people discussing and analyzing games on smartphones, right outside the tournament hall. One can't be sure what precisely is going on. But we have to congratulate the arbiter M.S. Gopakumar and his team for catching a culprit this time and hope that FIDE would give the strictest possible punishment, which may send out a warning to all potential cheaters.”
Working...
X