X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Five-Minute Interview with Vassily Ivanchuk

A Five-Minute Interview with Vassily Ivanchuk

September 22, 2017

Sagar Shah founded the Chessbase India website and has done outstanding coverage of international events – the Aeroflot Open, on Wesley So at home, Joel Lautier and even lost to Eric Hansen in the London FIDE Open in 2015.

Here, he gets a five-minute interview with Vassily Ivanchuk, after he was eliminated at the World Cup in Tbilisi.

For the video and a complete transcript:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/all-my-...ssily-ivanchuk

Excerpts:

Vassily Ivanchuk: It was really an interesting tournament. I was happy to play here. I want to thank Emil Sutovsky who supported me [Ivanchuk was the nominee of the Association of Chess Professionals -Ed.]. Unfortunately I did not qualify by rating. It was an interesting tournament with big tension. In first two rounds I was a bit lucky and in the end I played quite well. In the last match against Aronian, I played a terrible first game. In the second game, I played well but it wasn’t enough as my opponent defended well. And I didn't manage to win. It was really a good tournament. I played creative and fighting chess. If I will continue in this style in future I will reach big new successes.

Vassily, which are the future tournaments that you are planning to play?

I will play soon in the Croatian League which is starting from 28th of October, no no, 28th of September sorry (laughs), and then in the end of October I will play six classical games with Wei Yi in Hoogeveen, Holland. And then I am planning to play in Gibraltar. There is also the Chinese League, but I am not sure.

So right now it’s completely packed with chess, no checkers?

I want to play checkers too. I don’t know if it will be this year or next year, but I will try to play. It is really interesting for me to study new games. Strangely enough my biggest success has been in Frisian Checkers. I played this year in quite a strong tournament and I reached third place. I beat many champions. Frisian draughts, it' has very special rules.

And final question Vassily, do you still have ambitions of becoming the chess World Champion?

Now this cycle is closed for me, but next cycle we will see. I will plan something. But, now it's no time for it. I need to relax a little bit, to prepare for my next tournament — Croatian League — and of course always during all of my life I need to try improve my chess level and I will try to do it.
Working...
X