X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous Game by William Harris

Dangerous Game by William Harris

June 8, 2018

I saw a reference to this book today. To my knowledge I have not heard about it before.

There are people who like ghost stories and this one has chess mixed in! Probably, it is for kids to improve their English. Does anyone have a memory of having read it?

From goodreads.com

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...dangerous-game

Dangerous game

William Harris

Paperback: 64 pages

Publisher: Addison-Wesley Longman

Year: 1977

_________

For a number of years, William Harris plays a game with a ghost before he goes to sleep. The ghost is a poltergeist that William calls ‘Poldy’. At the beginning William and Poldy play a friendly game every night, but then the game begins to change. It becomes a dangerous game. Who will win?

________

I first read this ghost story during an English course in Ireland in 1978 or 1979. I liked it a lot, so I’ve used it now in my private lessons with a student. The result has been excellent – the student has enjoyed it as much as I did.

________

I read this as a kid for my English classes, and it really haunted me afterwards. The language is simple, but the terror increases slowly, until the ending which was just..Maybe too scary for my 10-year-old self. Reading it again now, I realize some of the twists might have been predictable, but still…It’s effect and achieves what it aimed for. I’m still fond of this quick read, and less fond of playing chess against myself now.
Working...
X