Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Shiller - RIP

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post

I couldn't figure out how to create a new post, so I apologize for this...but, I wanted to acknowledge the passing of Eric Schiller...a genius in his own right, he billeted myself and Lawrence Day in 1985 in his Chicago flat for the Chicago International tournament...it is when I happily met GM Ray Keene...Eric was a fascinating host...among other memories we had, a group dinner at the Kavasian (sp?), a Russian restaurant on the southside that was owned by a relative of GM Gufeld...an incredible night...one minor anecdote - we all went for dinner one night (not the Kavasian) and GM Keene had previously indicated he was a vegetarian...so, we began to take our turns ordering our meals and Ray ordered....duck!...when Eric challenged him, he replied "Eric, it is simple, a duck is below the IQ of any plant"...

Brian
    Very sad to see the passing of Eric Shiller. We competed against each other in the Pam Am Intercollegiate in the early 80's and I also saw him in Chicago at the 1983 World Youth Team Event.
    There was a very funny caption in 'Not the British Chess Magazine' where Kasparov is in deep thought over an opening position and the caption is 'Eric go get the BCO'. Poking fun at the fact that Eric was friends with Gary and they used to write some books with not great analysis. BCO was Batsford's Chess Openings written by Kasparov and Shiller. In defence of BCO, it was a condensed version of BCO and did have some good ideas in it.
Working...
X