CAN v ENG-1 in World Sr Ch 50+ last round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAN v ENG-1 in World Sr Ch 50+ last round

The Canadian team at the World Senior 50+ Team Championship (in Acqui Terme, Italy) have worked themselves into a top-board pairing against the leader England 1 in tomorrow's (Wednesday's) last round. They are not in contention for 1st, but ties for 3rd with a win and 4th with a tie are still possible. Their 5-0-3 record includes losses only to GM-laden teams; in the five match wins they've scored 16 from 20, quite good going!

I am not officially screening this event---as I was for the Covid-curtailed championship in Prague 2020 where Team Canada also played really well---so I can have a rooting interest. It is not "unpatriotic" for me to root for Canada since Team USA-1 are just a hair behind ENG-1. But I can also personally pull for David Cummings, my Oxford Varsity teammate in times of yore, and the others whom I've been glad to meet a couple times I've crossed the border.

About which, I am probably not playing in the Canadian Open, but I will certainly visit at least once.

The games of the top two board pairings (also in the 65+, no CAN or USA team but ENG-1 headed by our mutual friend John Nunn and some others I've known---I am getting to that age myself) can be viewed at http://livechess24.com/Tournaments/C...quadre_50__65_
    Last edited by Kenneth Regan; Wednesday, 29th June, 2022, 10:32 AM. Reason: Inserted word "record"
Working...
X