FIDE vignettes from Kallithea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE vignettes from Kallithea

The 80th FIDE Congress took place from October 11-18 in Kallithea - a resort town about one hour by cab from Thessalonikki. These meetings provide a unique opportunity for face time with key chess officials from around the world. Very much a "use it or lose it" proposition.

Unfortunately a precedent dating back to John Prentice saddles the FIDE Rep with all the costs of participating. The CFC has taken a useful step by establishing the FIDE Fund, which can accept targeted donations to help cover such costs. That's another story.

One somber thought that came home with me was the notion of mortality. The FIDE Congress begins with the FIDE Anthem, followed by a reading of the names FIDE Titleholders who died in the past year. After a moment of silence the President delivers his report.

I fear that my old friend Campo will be on this list at the next Congress. News of his failing health provoked tears from many in attendance. He was still pushing himself in Bonn and Dresden last year, delivering speeches, connecting dots. He could still name everybody.

A close call took place in the lobby on arrival day, when well known Arbiter Stewart Reuben collapsed. He recovered in hospital and managed to attend a few meetings. He has his own theory about Canada's Zonal status - also another story.
Working...
X