Abe Yanofsky Prep - Chess the Hard Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abe Yanofsky Prep - Chess the Hard Way

I'm preparing for the Abe Yanofsky Memorial. My experience in the 2011 edition taught me an important lesson.

My first round pairing was against a 2200+. I had prepared the Budapest Gambit as Black and was ready for a fight.

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 Ng4 4. Bf4 Bb4+ 5. Nd2 Nc6 6. Nf3 Qe7 7. a3 Bxd2+ 8. Qxd2 Ncxe5 9. Nxe5 Nxe5 10. e3 d6 11. Be2 Be6 12. Rc1 Ng6 13. Bg3 h5 14. h3 h4 15. Bh2

In my prep up to the 11th move, I find a nice idea to put pressure on White by pushing my h-pawn.

15. ... O-O 16. O-O Rad8 17. Qc3 Kh8 18. Qa5 f5!

I had just studied a couple of Kramnik- Nakamura encounters (in 2011) which shed a lot of blood on the kingside. I play as energetically as I can.

19. Qxa7 f4 20. Qd4 f3 21. Bxf3 Rxf3 22. gxf3 Bxh3 23. Kh1 and I find nothing better than to take back the exchange.

Ultimately I would be outclassed in this game and tipped my king on move 53. Sam was gracious in victory, and I fondly recall our post-mortem analysis at the sports bar down the street.

~

The lesson I gleaned from this Round 1 game coupled with the lesson I took to heart from the GM lecture at that year's event.

GM Alex Yermolinsky was the guest of honour in the Open Section, and between rounds he gave a lecture. I took it in rapt with interest and took to heart one point.

You see, at the time, my opening repertoire was expanding, and I was playing for open positions I had hitherto avoided.

Yermo said "there is only one thing I am afraid of from a much lower rated player, that is-" pausing for effect "- if he plays main lines!"

The best move, after all, is the best move whether you are a patzer or a GM.

Although I had given it my all with a well prepared side opening, my strong opponent seemed nonplussed by it, calmly sweeping aside the moves.

While I still bolted Open lines onto my repertoire, I became less vested in researching exotic or semi-exotic lines. The nuts and bolts only for me.

~

Samuel Lipnowski_vs_Alexander Lambruschini_2011.08.05
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alex Lambruschini; Friday, 16th August, 2024, 07:15 PM.
Working...
X