Warning: LLC Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: LLC Books

There is a new "publisher" of chess books - LLC Books. They advertise numerous print on demand titles on many subjects as well as a Book Club with a free 1-month membership.

Their titles are nothing more than data dumps from Wikipedia. They contain no material that can't be found online. Here's a typical title:

It is 78 pages and costs about $20 from amazon. As it is POD, LLC carries no inventory and wouldn't even have to do its own shipping. Again, there is nothing here that can't be found for free on the net.

I can't comment on the quality of the physical books as I haven't seen them, but the minimalist cover suggests a certain lack of effort. I mainly want to mention them here in case anyone is tempted by some of their titles.

As for the Book Club? It seems you get a 1-month membership for free if you buy a book. The membership is automatically renewed after the first month and you will automatically be charged $14.95 US per month from then on. This entitles you to download their "books".

This isn't technically a scam since they are up front about what they do once you read the details. But, in my humble opinion, it's about as close to a scam as you can come.

If you have any doubts, you may want to read their FAQ page.

http://booksllc.net/index.cfm

Please avoid these guys.
Working...
X