Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Open and Norm Chances

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
    Plotkin had a great result and will gain something like 30 rating points. Unfortunately he didn't get an IM norm as 7 of his opponents were from 1 federation, the maximum is 6. Also, he played 1 unrated = 2050 which brings his average opponent's rating down below 2370, the minimum needed for an IM norm with a 5.5 score....He played 3 GMs, 2 IMs and 1 WGM
    Tough break. But contrast this to

July-2011 First Saturday(Budapest)
    Name Rtg FED
    1 IM Husari Satea 2306 SYR
    2 Kantor Gergely 2255 HUN
    3 IM Farago Sandor 2269 HUN
    4 Battey Alexander 2326 USA
    5 FM Lyell Mark 2224 ENG
    6 IM Lengyel Bela 2276 HUN

This double RR is an IM-norm tournament where the 3 IMs are 2276,2269 and 2306. There's something fishy about this. Players in Eastern Europe have easy access to these 'fishy paper norms' but North American players battle it out in gruelling tournaments.

I'm on a one-man crusade against these paper-norm merchants. If you feel the same way as me pls give me hand a drop FIDE your thoughts in the 'Suggestion Box'.

http://www.fide.com/

The superiority of Eastern European chess success as evidenced by the number of title holders is a myth based on hype. If you have a few moments and feel the same way, pls lend a hand.

Thank you

Michael Yip
    Last edited by Michael Yip; Sunday, 10th July, 2011, 01:01 PM. Reason: More info added
Working...
X