Windsor YCC April 6th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windsor YCC April 6th

This was my first one day CFC tournament as a Tournament Director since the early to mid 1990s, though I did get my feet wet with the Late Winter Swiss two month long Friday night weekly tournament at Sobeys. Everything worked great including the tiny new laser printer and the SwissSys software. I was a bit optimistic on the start time in the morning but even though we started shortly after 10 am everything seemed to run fairly well with only a few bumps in the road.

A list of the medal winners and qualifiers from today's YCC follows. This was an active rated event with a time control of game in 30 minutes plus a 15 second increment. In theory the rounds should have lasted about an hour and a half each. In practice, many of the kids had more time at the end of the game than they started with.

Slow down. You can't find good moves if you don't take the time to look for them.

Eighteen qualified for CYCC if my calculations are correct. With three WYCC qualifiers (Lily, Rachel and Lukas) also eligible, Windsor and area has already 21 children qualified for CYCC 2013 and we are only just getting started. You needed 2.0/4 today to qualify for CYCC 2013 in Ottawa. Thanks to Herb Alice and John Coleman for being the bye guys who played the kids in the top section when they had a bye. John Coleman was quite helpful by supplying medals from his sources and even bringing extra clocks over and above the ones he had already supplied and pitching in with his TD expertise. Thanks to Zoltan and Istvan Kiraly for their help and also Christina Tao, Ellen Tao, William Cheung, Lukas Cheung, George Zhou, Lily Zhou, Lisa and Tyler D'Amore who helped with some of the setup at the beginning or break down at the end of the day.

Under 8
    Max Zhu Gold 4.0/4
    Alan Bui Silver 3.0 /4
    Steven Fu was able to win Bronze with 1.5/4 but will have to win CYCC qualification at a future event.

Under 10
    Henry Zhang Gold 3.5/4
    Anitej Bhaskar Silver 2.5/4
    David Makarczyk Silver 2.5/4
    Devin Feng, Nancy Yao and Peter Avdoulos finished with 2.0/4 to qualify for CYCC.

WYCC Veterans
    Rohan Talukdar finished with Gold and 2.5/3 in the WYCC veterans section which featured Lily Zhou and Lukas Cheung who have both already qualified for CYCC by virtue of last year's WYCC qualification. Rachel Tao also qualified as a WYCC qualifier but decided to rest this weekend after her breakthrough event in London last week.

Under 12
    Jeffrey Zhu scored a perfect 4/4 for Gold to join younger brother Max as the only two perfect scores of the day.
    Frank Hou and Alexander Mikho scored 3/4 for silver medals
    Rahma Gillan and Ellen Tao scored 2/4 to earn CYCC qualifications

Under 14
    Noah Kuefuss and Karthik Baskaran scored gold with 3/4
    Tian Hou and Tyler D'Amore scored bronze medals and CYCC qualifications with 2/4
Working...
X